A Monte Carlo news outlet revealed John Tomic had hit his son Bernard during a practice session in Monaco last Tuesday. It seems the volcano has been smoking for a while and finally erupted with full force 3 days ago, when after a prolonged heated argument during their flight from Monte Carlo to Madrid, events then went off the Richter scale outside their Madrid hotel.
New details have just emerged regarding the attack. Drouet has said that tension was running high all last week and confirms the incident in Monte Carlo. as they were leaving Monte Carlo, at the airport John Tomic asked Drouet to buy him some milk and Drouet replied he did not have time. As they were boarding the flight to Madrid John Tomic started to abuse him, said he was sacked and that he would not be paid. Then outside the Madrid hotel John Tomic asked to talk to Drouet, and he assumed it was going to be to apologize.“After 100m… He spat in my face, then walked away, and said he wouldn’t pay me any more. I said, OK, John, you are a real man. That’s fine. Bernard will pay me”
“And he headbutted me. Every day he treat me like a dog for six months, with disrespect and then this. But he need to be off the ATP (tour).”
Today outside court John Tomic says it was Drouet who was the aggressor and he had to head-butt him in self-defence… “I’m not feeling like I’m guilty, I feel I did nothing wrong.”
Eye witnesses have said the head butt was struck with such force that Drouet was temporarily unable to breathe.
It’s alleged that John Tomic head butted and subsequently battered his sons hitting partner of 6 months, Tomas Drouet, leaving the Frenchman unconscious for 20 minutes. Unconfirmed reports include that it was Dolgopolov who alerted hotel staff to the incident, and apparently Tipsarevic also viewed the event from his hotel room window.
Three days on, it’s been reported that Thomas Drouet has now left hospital but has a neck brace and nose cast in place.
Apparently Bernard Tomic was visibly distraught about the incident and was trying to help Thomas Drouet as an ambulance arrived on the scene. It was initially suggested that John Tomic was still in jail, but it’s subsequently been revealed that he is not in jail now, and is due to make a court appearance for assault today. He initially spent several hours in police custody.
Todd Woodbridge, head of men’s tennis Australia, said “we’re still trying to ascertain if or what charges have been laid.” The ATP are also launching an investigation into events.
Motive? It’s been suggested that John Tomic was unhappy with Drouet for getting involved in the argument last week between John and his son Bernard during a practice session in Monte Carlo.
It should be noted that Bernard Tomic himself seems to have had nothing to do with the incident, and calls for him to have an ATP ban are quite frankly ridiculous.
John Tomic is notorious for his temper. In 2011 he had a heated argument with Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley, that lead to security being called after Tomic’s loss to Cilic. In Miami last year Bernard Tomic tried to have his dad kicked out of the stands, and it’s clear they have a fiery relationship that could have sparked current events. In December 2008 John Tomic ordered Bernard to walk off the court during his match against Marinko Matosevic in protest of poor umpiring, and this led to Bernard Tomic receiving a one month ban from the ATP.
Other John Tomic moments of madness include a 2006 road rage incident in which he is alleged to have forced another car that was occupied by a females player off the road in Adelaide.
Bernard Tomic himself has also had several behavioural issues over the years, but none for violent conduct. Last year he ran from police on the Australian Gold Coast (where he lives) three times in one day, and locked himself in his house. Bernard subsequently pleaded guilty to the charge of failing to stop for police and was put put on a 12-month good behaviour order.
After being accused of tanking his match against Roddick at last years US Open Tomic replied “Really? What do you think? That’s how I play. Do you have a problem with that?” When the reported replied, Tomic said “What is your name?” and “I’ll remember you.”
Having started 2013 winning his first ATP title in Sydney, Bernard seemed to have turned a corner and it was hoped he was going to push on in his career, fulfilling his talent and potential:
“I couldn’t ask for anything more. It’s an amazing feeling,” Tomic said.
“Now that I know what it feels like to win a tournament, and it’s the best feeling in the world.
“I’m so happy I won. I can’t stop here now. Now I’ve got to look to the next tournament and keep playing the tennis I’ve been playing.”
Sadly things have not taken a turn for the better, and with the current situation, it could take him a while to regain his form. Bernard Tomic lost his first round match at the Mutua Madrid Open 6-3, 6-2 to Radek Stepanek.
If convicted of assault, John Tomic could certainly have to serve some time in a Spanish jail, and there have been calls for him to be banned from all ATP events. This in fact could be just what Bernie needs, to get rid of some of the controversy that is following the Tomic’s around, and focus fully on his tennis game.
Happier times for Tomic, earlier this year at the Miami Masters:
The last tennis parent to be banned from a professional tennis tour was Damir Dokic, the hot-tempered father of Australian player Jelena. He was originally banned from the 2000 US open after he got abusive when charged $10 for a piece of salmon in the players restaurant. He was then banned from all WTA events after he threatened to kidnap his daughter.
Another crazed tennis parent was the father of Mary Pierce. Jim Pierce is alleged to have shouted out in one of her matches: “Go on, Mary, kill the bitch”. He also had a fight with one of his daughters bodyguards in 1993, attacking him with a knife.