After announcing that he will be taking part in the Brisbane International in January, former US Open champion Juan Martin del Potro confirmed that he as accepted a wildcard into Sydney, where he is the defending champion.
The news was confirmed by Tournament Director Alistair MacDonald, who said:
“We’ll be welcoming back one of the most popular players we’ve ever had in defending champion Juan Martin del Potro and our women’s field this year is one of the strongest you will see outside a Grand Slam.
Del Potro won the title at the start of the 2014 season, defeating then champion Bernard Tomic in the final. Having officially secured his spot in two pre-Australian Open tournaments already, it appears the Argentine is ready to take part in a full schedule on the tour once more.
“I love playing in Sydney. The city and the fans are great and I can’t wait to come back and defend my title,” said del Potro, who has not played competitively since 25 February.
“Last year I played some of my best tennis there and it is the perfect way to start the year. I am looking forward to being back in Sydney as it is one of my favourite cities to play. I remember there were a lot of Argentine fans who came out to support me which was amazing.”
The Argentine, who currently sits at No. 138 in the rankings, has not played a match since February. He managed to win the Apia international in Sydney at the start of the season, then struggled from then on and eventually opted for surgery after failed bids in Rotterdam and Dubai.
Del Potro will compete alongside Fabio Fognini, David Goffin, Philipp Kohlschreiber, Julien Benneteau, Nicolas Almagro, Leonardo Mayer, Jeremy Chardy, Pablo Cuevas, Nick Kyrgios and 2013 champion Bernard Tomic.
The Apia international Sydney takes place between Jan. 11-17.