France’s Richard Gasquet and Gael Monfils have officially withdrawn from the Atlanta Open and are no longer visible on the main draw of the tournament. Gasquet’s decision was taken after Victor Estrella Burgos reached his first ATP World Tour-level semifinal with a 6-3, 6-4 upset over the Frenchman, while Monfils withdrew on Monday citing an injury.
It appears Gasquet’s reason for withdrawing from the event was a “non-medical” one.
Richard Gasquet withdraws from singles in Atlanta due to a non-medical reason. #ATP
— Erik Gudris (@ATNtennis) July 20, 2014
Radek Stepanek also withdrew from the event with a left hamstring injury earlier in the week and was replaced by Pospisil as the fourth higest seed in the tournament.
Tournament director Eddie Gonzalez said he was disappointed in the decision of both players and implied that they likely wouldn’t be invited to participate in upcoming years. Gonzalez said the duo would also be fined by ATP Tour.
“I was looking forward to seeing the beautiful game of Gasquet and the athleticism of Monfils,” Gonzalez said. “I have to only imagine how disappointed the Atlanta tennis community is. I can only apologize to those fans who are disappointed. I’m disappointed too.”
American John Isner, South Africa’s Kevin Anderon, France’s Gael Monfils and Canada’s Vasek Pospisil now serve as the highest seeds of the tournament and will receive a bye into the second round.
The world No. 14 has only reached the final of two tournaments so far this season, the first of which was back in March and the second in June. Since then, his best performances took place at Bogota, where he reached the quarter-final round. He failed to get past the third round of any of the Grand Slam events this season, most recently falling in the second round of the Wimbledon Championships.