When the 2014 ATP World Tour Season began almost four months ago, you would have been hard-pressed to find a single fan or pundit who would have suggested that world No. 3 Stanislas Wawrinka would lead the pack in the Race to London four months in.
The Swiss No. 1 won his first Grand Slam title this season, when he defeated top-ranked Rafael Nadal in the final of the Australian Open, and has now followed up by winning his first Masters 1000 title, when he toppled fellow countryman Roger Federer in the Monte Carlo final.
Bulgarian youngster Grigor Dimitrov finds himself at No. 8 this week in the Rankings Race, as he won his second title of the season this past week in Bucharest, Romania. Now brimming with confidence, Dimitrov will be looking to continue his charge up the Emirates ATP rankings over the crucial months of May and June.
British No. 1 and reigning Wimbledon champion Andy Murray is down at No. 12.
ATP Race Rankings [April 28, 2014]
1. Wawrinka, Stanislas (SUI) 3,535
2. Djokovic, Novak (SRB), 3,050
3. Federer, Roger (SUI), 2,920
4. Nadal, Rafael (ESP), 2,865
5. Berdych, Tomas (CZE), 2,135
6. Nishikori, Kei (JPN), 1,525
7. Ferrer, David (ESP), 1,440
8. Dimitrov, Grigor (BUL), 1,355
9. Dolgopolov, Alexandr (UKR), 1,175
10. Fognini, Fabio (ITA), 1,150
11. Cilic, Marin (CRO), 1,125
12. Murray, Andy (GBR), 1,065