The 2012 season ended only a few weeks ago, but that makes it a perfect time to start looking ahead to next year. We know who finished in the top ten, but who will achieve that feat in 2013? Will the same names appear on the list? Or we will see some new faces within the elite tier? With the hopes that everyone stays healthy and plays a full season, here’s my thoughts on who will finish 2013 in the top ten for both the men and the women.
ATP Tour Year-End Top Ten – Review and Preview
First off, it’s always fun to look back at how the rankings ended in 2011 and see if there were any big changes to how the guys finished up in 2012.
|#1||Novak Djokovic||#1||Novak Djokovic|
|#2||Rafael Nadal||#2||Roger Federer|
|#3||Roger Federer||#3||Andy Murray|
|#4||Andy Murray||#4||Rafael Nadal|
|#5||David Ferrer||#5||David Ferrer|
|#6||Jo-Wilfried Tsonga||#6||Tomas Berdych|
|#7||Tomas Berdych||#7||Juan Martin Del Potro|
|#8||Mardy Fish||#8||Jo-Wilfried Tsonga|
|#9||Janko Tipsarevic||#9||Janko Tipsarevic|
|#10||Nicolas Almagro||#10||Richard Gasquet|
As you can see the “big four” may have shuffled around a bit but they still remained the dominant quartet all year. Del Potro broke back into the top ten as did Gasquet for the first time since 2007.
2013 Year-End ATP Top Ten Predictions
1. Novak Djokovic – The Serbian superstar will post another impressive year. He made it to three Major finals in 2012, and it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him do it again.
2. Andy Murray – With the U.S. Open trophy on his shelf, Murray will have even more confidence next year. While winning Wimbledon will be a top priority, another Major title on the hard courts is well within his grasp.
3. Roger Federer – Federer surprised some by opting not to play Miami next year, but could we see him play an even more limited schedule? An 18th major is certainly possible, but his chances of finishing No. 1 will be slim.
4. Juan Martin Del Potro – The “Tower of Tandil” and his big game should earn him big rewards next season as he breaks into the top four. Expect him to reach the finals of at least one Major.
5. Rafael Nadal – 2013 will be a rebuilding year for the former No. 1 as it could take some time for Nadal to become a dominant force on tour again. Expect some early losses before he sets foot on his favorite clay in the spring. How much he plays during the summer hard court season may well determine his final ranking.
6. David Ferrer – The victorious Valencian proved in 2012 he can win titles on any surface. He might not win a Major, but he will once again rack up several ATP titles during the year.
7. Tomas Berdych – Many think Berdych winning the Davis Cup title for his country will fuel him to greater heights in 2013. But does he really believe he can beat the “big four” week in and week out? Expect another solid season but success at the Majors could elude him again.
8. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga – With new coach Roger Rasheed in his corner, Tsonga will try adding some discipline to his exciting shotmaking game. But will that be enough to propel him to another Major final? Wimbledon may once again be his best place to shine.
9. Janko Tipsarevic – He may not reach even the semis of a Major, but Tipsarevic should post enough consistent results to keep him in the top ten.
10. Milos Raonic – The young Canadian has the big weapons to break into and stay in the top ten, but he’ll have to earn better results at the Majors. 2013 could be the real test to see how high Raonic can go in his career.
WTA Year-End Top Ten – Review and Preview
The WTA saw a major shift from 2011 to 2012 as the tour got a new No. 1 and several new names on the year-end list.
|#1||Caroline Wozniacki||#1||Victoria Azarenka|
|#2||Petra Kvitova||#2||Maria Sharapova|
|#3||Victoria Azarenka||#3||Serena Williams|
|#4||Maria Sharapova||#4||Agnieszka Radwanska|
|#5||Li Na||#5||Angelique Kerber|
|#6||Sam Stosur||#6||Sara Errani|
|#7||Vera Zvonareva||#7||Li Na|
|#8||Agnieszka Radwanska||#8||Petra Kvitova|
|#9||Marion Bartoli||#9||Sam Stosur|
|#10||Andrea Petkovic||#10||Caroline Wozniacki|
Predicting which ladies will finish in the top ten next year is not easy, considering there could be several players who could climb in and fall out of the top tier each week. But here’s my take on what the year end standings should look like.
2013 WTA Year-End Predictions
1. Victoria Azarenka – “Vika” looks very comfortable as the World No. 1 and should win at least one Major. She’s still the one to beat for everyone in 2013.
2. Serena Williams – While one or even two Major titles in 2013 are to be expected from the 2012 player of the year, only if Williams plays a full schedule can she have a shot at retaking the top ranking.
3. Maria Sharapova – Expect the Russian to have another solid season with her best results being on clay again.
4. Angelique Kerber – With a game that can challenge anyone on tour, Kerber should get even better in 2013.
5. Agnieszka Radwanska – Another solid year will be in store for “Aga”, but can she make it to another Major final?
6. Petra Kvitova – If Kvitova can get over her recent health issues, she will be a threat next year. Consistency will be the key.
7. Caroline Wozniacki – “Sunshine” should have a brighter season based on her late run of titles in 2012. But don’t expect her to be a threat at a Major.
8. Li Na – New coach Carlos Rodriguez has instilled some new consistency and spark in the Chinese star’s game. Her best chance at another Major could be Melbourne.
9. Sam Stosur – If she can overcome her nerves and post a better result in Melbourne, 2013 could be a solid year. But more likely expect another inconsistent season for the Aussie.
10. Sara Errani – 2012’s biggest surprise will have a lot of points to defend. The clay season will once again be where she shines best.