Federer Breaks British Hearts, but Marray wins some

Share & Comment

The Wimbledon fortnight has now ended, what a match to go out on.  Roger Federer against British hopeful Andy Murray.  After waiting 74 years for another British finalist, Murray finally managed to make a Wimbledon final.  After 4 sets against Tsonga he was all set for his attempt to make history.  The younger of the finalists at just 25 Murray was fired up for this match.

He started well, outplaying Federer in a fairly close first set.  Murray won the first 2 games, but then Federer broke Murray to level it all square.  It stayed this way all the way through the first set with it poised to go to a tie break with Murray up 5-4.  Britian held its breath as Federer then served to level this set.  Murray broke the serve to take the set 6-4 and more importantly finally winning a set in a Grand Slam final.  The second set began in much the same veign as the first, more or less all square.  Murray had break points in this set but Federer was too strong and managed to save them.  He then managed to break the Murray serve and went on to level the match at one set all.

With the match so even, the one thing the British supporters feared happened.  Rain stopped play, while the roof of centre court was closed to enable the match to finish on time.  At this point, although most hoped against hope that Murray could still win, Federer’s indoor record is outstanding.  This proved to be the turning point in the match.  Murray still played outstanding tennis, just unfortunate that Federer was able to play even better under the roof.  Roger Federer went on to win the match after winning the next 2 sets to take the match 4-6, 7-5, 6-3, 6-4.  Murray made an emotional speech after accepting his runner up trophy, in fact he had to gather himself together a few times as he broke down.  He managed a bit of humour as his first words were “Well, I’m getting closer”.

The previous day was the mens doubles final, again there happened to be a Briton playing in this final (the first time this had happened in 76 years!).  Jonathan Marray from Sheffield and Frederik Neilsen from Denmark had only teamed up three events before, but in a thrilling 5 set match the wildcard entrants beat the seeded pairing 4-6, 6-4, 7-6, 6-7, 6-3 in a fairytale doubles final.  This means that Marray and Neilsen will now automatically qualify for further tournaments without needing a wildcard entry.  Marray didnt even think at the start of the tournament that they could actually win it, this seems to have helped in their attitude to the game.  In the final set it came down to Marray to serve out for the match, he had been the strongest player on court this

You Love Tennis Right...

Join the Stevegtennis.com tennis club for free. Just enter your email below for...

  • Tennis news updates once a week.
  • Special offers on tennis gear.
  • Unsubscribe at any time.
  • We will never share your email.

Leave a Reply