Will Boe continues quest for 1st point

Results Forum Archives

Will Boe continues quest for 1st point

Postby Ex Satie » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:20 pm

Rochester Updates- 2 emails in one day from 1st round qualies. You gotta be kidding me!!! This guy he beat must really suck

Email 1 at 11:35am
Dear friends and family,

In a few hours I'll be playing my first round here in Rochester, NY. I have the #3 seed this afternoon...1700 in the world. I'll report back later today.

Hope you're all doing well!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Email 2 at 8:30pm
Dear family and friends,

Great to hear from so many of you!!

After a three and half hour rain delay I was able to win 6-1, 6-0 against the #3 seed (1700 in the world).

Because of the rain delays several of the matches were bumped to tomorrow so the tournament desk couldn't give me an exact time for tomorrow's match, but it won't be early.

So, round of 32 here we come!

Ciao for now!

--
--
William Boe-Wiegaard
Bates College Alumni 06'
5 Mohawk Drive
Easton, CT 06612
203-733-4496 (cell)
www.willboe.com
www.melaleuca.com
"A dollar a day and I'm on my way"
"The time for greatness is always now!!"
"Respect all. Fear none." Roger Federer.
"You're not promised tomorrow...but be ready for it."
"Feed a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life." Sensei Hoffman.
"Excuses are the nails in the house of failure." Sensei Hoffman.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Einstein
Ex Satie
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Will Boe continues quest for 1st point

Postby Ex Satie » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:25 am

One of his all-time classic emails- Email #3 from Rochester

Dear family and friends,

Great to hear from so many of you!! Record breaking number of replies, I can't possibly keep up!! But just know I love all of you guys and you're support means a lot!!

So here's what happened today...

I won 6-4, 6-4 against Jordan Cox (USA). Wasn't feeling that strong out there today. With a 20% first serve percentage (and that's being generous) I turned an otherwise "easy" match, into a kind of close one...

I broke early in the first, but was broken back in the middle, but then broke back at 4-4 and held at 5-4 to take the set 6-4. I got the break at 2-2 in the second set and consolidated the break to go up 4-2. Then at 0-15 on his serve, I called a ball wide when it actually was just barely touching the line and after closer inspection by the roaming official I was over ruled...I was a bit thrown off because I hate cheaters and there I was being over ruled!! Despite it being an honest mistake, I lost the next 8 points! However, I stayed calm and was able to regain control and at 4-4 I was able to break again and then I held take the set and the match!

Despite not serving well and generally not "feeling it" out there, I'm happy that I was able to win while not playing my best tennis.

Anyway, my next round opponent is Derek Difazio (USA). I scouted him after my match and saw that he's a tall, lanky lefty who doesn't really move forward too well, likes to serve to the backhand, and struggles on his backhand return off the ad side and with the body serve on the deuce side. I'll be OK if I play solid.

Alright, gotta go to sleep! Match is at 1:00 PM.

Ciao for now!

--
--
William Boe-Wiegaard
Ex Satie
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby Cmb » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:22 am

Lol, hyped he passed the qualies, I dont know if the qualies could get any easier lol. But who cares right?? now its Daniel Garza in the first round. To me its funny how he can spend 46k per year traveling to play tournaments, and then get hyped about winning a first round qualy match, news flash...YOU SHOULD BE WINNING mister will-boe!

Some people are delusional huh?? Ex-satie, where do u get these email updates?
Cmb
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby Ex Satie » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:30 pm

Maybe his best email yet!!! Enjoy!!. CMB, I live in NYC and have a few friends that are on his email list of 500 or so people that he doesnt even know. My friends dont really know him either but he steals emails from different events and just adds them to his. Alot of them laugh their asses off that he sends so many emails and some people are just annoyed. I wouldnt send any emails until I at least had some points to show.

Email #4 Monday 12am
Dear family and friends,
Main draw here I come!!! Sweeeeeeet!!!! VAMOS!!!! Let's go!!!! Fire it up one time...BAM! I beat Derek Difazio (USA) today. He's going to be a sophomore at Clemson. He's a 6'4" lefty with a serve and volley gamester, which I have to admit was not easy to deal with (at first). Despite starting slow, making some unforced errors and losing the first set 6-2, I managed to raise my level of intensity and discover a significant weak spot in his game and win the next two sets without to much trouble 6-1, 6-3. Thus, I qualified! This is my 4th Futures main draw appearance and I feel great! I have to play the 5th seed (Daniel Garza...625 in the world from Mexico) in the first round on Wednesday. I play doubles tomorrow. Garza doesn't have much pop to his game but he is crafty (according to a few players I asked). Garza has a propensity for hitting drop shots and coming to net. I'm sure it will be a very cerebral and interesting match. I can't wait! The other good news is that being a main draw player I get housing! So, now I'm staying with Anet and Gus Thompson just a few miles down the road from the tournament. They've been very welcoming and I'm definitely living it up! They even have a hot tub and a 60" flat screen TV with Tennis Channel...excellent! Now I can watch all the Wimbledon I can handle! Federer is looking sharp! Hrbaty is amazing for sitting next to Federer at the end! What a stud! Too bad about Nalbandian. Safin!!! Come on big guy keep it going! Hewitt!! Yes!! Way to be! "Bird man" pulling through after being down a break in the 5th! So tough! Joke-a-vich...noooo!! Anyway, time for sleep! Doubles will be around 2:30. Ciao for now! --
Ex Satie
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby tennissux2007 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:26 pm

Lost to Garza. Apparently, you can't learn tennis by sitting in the hot tub and watching it on TV.
tennissux2007
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby Cmb » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:15 am

Let's go!!!! Fire it up one time...BAM! I beat Derek Difazio (USA)

lol great win willboe, u beat a number 6 guy that plays for a team ranked in the 40s. What a joker.
Cmb
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby Ex Satie » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:30 pm

He waits one week to write this after losing and no explanation why he didnt play in Pittsburgh this week right near Rochester. This guy should just give it up he seems to fall ill every time he makes a main draw. What a choke!!

Dear family and friends, Again, it's been amazing hearing from so many of you! Between competing in Rochester, a wedding, training, and following Wimbledon on EPSN, Tennis Channel, and ATPtennis.com it's been difficult to find the time to write my updates let alone get back to each everyone, but just know your support means the world (GO FED/Safin!!)! Looks like Peoria, IL is going to be where I get my first ATP point, because as my luck would have it, I came down with a stomach bug, again. At 4-4 in the first set of my first round match against Daniel Garza (5th seed, 626 in the world from Mexico) I became very ill, very quickly. Despite throwing up several times on court and feeling like I was going to pass out, I stayed out there and battled with Garza the best I could (I would have literally had to be dragged off in a stretcher to retire from this match, because despite my condition, I felt I could have won anyway). I ended up losing by only a few points! 6-7(8-10), 4-6 (I even had a set point in the breaker...missed a backhand volley by about 2 inches wide at 6-5). Had I been healthy I would have won. Although I'm frustrated, I actually gained confidence from the match, because Garza won a clay court Future just a few weeks ago in Tampa, FL, and if I can take a guy who's winning Futures titles to a tight 7-6, 6-4 match then...well, that's just a good thing. ;)
Alex, VJ, Ahbay and I are leaving for Peoria tomorrow morning at 10AM and will hopefully arrive sometime Thursday night. Garza is the #2 seed, maybe I can get some revenge! Erik left last night for two $35,000+H Challengers in Canada followed by the Toronto Master Series (considering you have to be ranked in the top 45 in the world to be a direct acceptance into a Masters Series main draw, Erik's 404 world rank is only good enough to get him into the qualifying!). Good luck E!!!! You can do it!

Now, I want to give everyone a heads up on a few upcoming events!

1) July 10-13th I'll be competing at Yale University in the Pilot Penn pre-qualifying tournament. For those of you who remember I lost in the finals of this tournament two summers ago against Justin Diao Natale (who's currently 711 in the world). It's a 32 draw this year, instead of 128 like it was when I first played it...thanks USTA!!! Anyway, come one come all to show your support! I know a few of you have already expressed that you want to be louder than the J-Block, which is fine...just make sure it's between points OK! If I win this tournament I get a wild card into the Pilot Penn Qualifying, which will be in the middle of August.
2) On July 14th (a Monday) I've been invited to play in a celebrity Pro-Am at the Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport, RI. This hasn't been set in stone, but it's on the table and I figure while I'm going through my upcoming events I might as well throw it in there. I'll let you know as soon as I know for sure! It will be an amazing event to come to because it's on grass, in Newport, and there will be big stars there (Navratilova, Bud Collins, etc)!!!
3) I'm having another fundraiser at Milford Indoor on August 23rd. So keep your afternoon and evening open because we're going to have clinics, games, and Erik and I will be playing a full 2 out of 3 set match this time! I'm also going to try and get some other world ranked friends of mine to come and play as well. Should be a great night of tennis and food for everyone! I'll send out an email again soon discussing specifics for the event.
Anyway, hope all's well and I will be in touch with everyone soon!
Ciao for now!

--
--
William Boe-Wiegaard
Bates College Alumni 06'
5 Mohawk Drive
Easton, CT 06612
203-733-4496 (cell)
Ex Satie
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby bkilray » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:37 pm

I love this guy........ I am now living through him. My prediction. Will Boe top 1000 by dec.
bkilray
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby Cmb » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:11 am

damn, no more email updates after the last tourney? come on will boe! I want news!
Cmb
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby Ex Satie » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:58 pm

Dear Family and Friends,
As some of you already have seen on the USTA website, I retired at 1-2 (on serve) in the third set. I was able to win the first set 7-5, but that was largely due to the medical, and clothing change timeouts that I was allowed to take, which kept me "comfortable." The official temperature was 104 degrees, with an on-court temperature near 140 degrees! Yes, 140!! Seriously, if you want to know what Thailand in June feels like, then come to Godfrey, Illinois.
We were both struggling...heck everyone was struggling. However, my opponent was lucky with a default yesterday, and in turn, a bit fresher than I was heading into today's match. So, that was the difference. I tried to stay out there, but with the trainer telling me to retire because I was in serious danger of having to go to the hospital, nausea, double-vision, light-headedness, hyperventilation, and generally feeling like I was going to collapse at any moment, I decided to take his advice and retire.
Immediately after the match was over, the trainer put ice cold towels on my head, neck, back, stomach and waist. The result of which was a massive puddle of water on the court, but there were no matches after mine, so, no matter. As soon as I was able to stand up without feeling like I was going to pass-out, I got off the court, into a golf cart, which took me to the training room where I spent 10 minutes in 45 degree ice bath...to the chest!! Then I spent 10 minutes in the shower (sitting in a chair) and then I spent 30 minutes in an air conditioned room (all of which was under the watchful eyes of the tournament director). After all of this, I was finally back to feeling like I could walk around and I got my stuff and drove back to the hotel. I threw down a quick sandwich and a napped for about an hour.
I wish I could have stuck it out, but it was dangerous.
If anyone has any advice for me on how I should manage the heat I'm all ears. I'll tell you that I was well hydrated before the match, had plenty of rest, only warmed up for 20 minutes instead of the usual 45-60 mins, ate 2 bananas and an Access Bar about an hour prior to the match, and wore a white clothing during the match. I even bought a cooler to keep my water and towel cold. Post heat exhaustion, I've done what I mentioned above and plan to rest all day tomorrow, and, on the advice of a football coach of 20 yrs, do some light cardio in a pool (side steps, walking, high knees, cross-over steps, etc), as well as drink as much water and electrolytes as possible.
Anything else people can think of to help get me ready for next week in Decatur would be greatly appreciated!
Sorry I couldn't pull through this week. I'm doing my best.
Hope you're all well. Ciao for now!
Will
Ex Satie
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: New Will Boe Email

Postby Ex Satie » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:19 pm

I wasnt going to post anymore but this one is too good not to post. Sorry dude but you shouldnt write BS like this and send it out to so many people who forward it on to others to laugh at. This guy has over 30 tourneys i think and still no points so where is the big progress? He has qualied 5 times out of 30. If you are going to make it you would qualie at a better percentage than that and you would get points before 2 years and 30 tourneys.

Dear Family and Friends,

My first ATP event was an amazing experience!! Thank you to all who came from Boston, NYC, and CT to watch me play so early on Saturday morning! You guys are die hard!

What can I say, at the ATP level you're treated like royalty. From the credentials that give you access to the player's lounge and locker rooms, the five-star meals, all the water and Gatorade you can handle, two cans of fresh balls for every practice, golf carts that take you wherever you need to go on site, Mercedes cars to take you wherever you need to go off site, fans, ball boys and girls, lines people, chair umpires, and to the match statistics...it was literally the royal treatment. Unlike at Futures events where qualifiers are treated like dirt, ATP qualifiers are walking the same red carpet as the main draw guys.

Unfortunately, I drew the 5th seed in the first round, and it's safe to say that with 39% of my first serves made, 9 foot faults, and 5 double faults, I was tight. My nerves got the best of me, which is a feeling I haven't had since I first started playing Futures back in June of 2006. Not to take anything away from Alberto, but if I was playing well (i.e. making my first serve, hitting through my forehand a bit more on the short balls, and playing his forehand instead of his stronger backhand) this would have been a winnable match, which gives me confidence to know that I belong at this level.

Alberto then went into the second round and lost 7-6(1), 3-6, 6-7(2) to Alex Bogolomov Jr (317 in the world)...who then beat #2 seed Jesse Levine (106 in the world) 6-4, 7-6(1) to qualify for the main draw.

As for now, it's time to train and try to raise more money to be able to stay on track.

I hope all of you who have contributed in the past will be willing to help me again in 2009.

For those of you who have yet to make a contribution, I hope you'll become a sponsor in January! I've secured about $20,000 and need an additional $30,000 to play a full pro schedule. It's taken two and half years to find a training center (RMTA in Brewster, NY), hitting partners (Erik Chvojka, 360 in the world, Patrick Franji, 1520 in the world, Abhay Prakash, 1512 in the world, Lena Litvak 482 in the world) and a coach (Jay Devashetty...as of two months ago), and personal trainers (Mark and Regina of the Four Seasons Racquet Club...as of a week ago). Now the only piece missing is the funding.

Why did it take that long...well when you don't have money, it takes a while for people to donate their time and energy to you...however, it's all in place now!! I just need the backing to take off.

Remember, every dollar counts. Even if you don't think $100 will go a long way, you're wrong! If everyone on my email list gave me $100 that would be $50,000!!! Just go to Willboe.com to donate! It takes two minutes and will allow me to pursue my dreams of becoming an ATP player! We're sooo close!!

Tennis is an individual sport, but nobody who's made it as a professional player has done it alone!

I NEED YOUR SUPPORT!! BECOME A SPONSOR AT WILLBOE.COM!!! A hundred bucks goes a long way!

LET'S DO THIS, GRASS ROOTS STYLE!!!

Things are looking brilliant! Will --
-------
-----------------
PS - If you'd like to post this or any other email I have ever written onto a website, or distribute this or any of my emails to anyone, in any form, you must have my expressed consent for these actions. Thank you.
Ex Satie
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby jdayusat » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:34 am

exsatie...please keep posting these. These are too funny! I mean, it's kind of sad that there are people throwing their money away on this guy, but his emails give me a good laugh. I love how he says that everything is going great and he hasn't picked up a single point in 2 years. I think it's time for him to start using his college degree and pay back all of these people who have given him money.
jdayusat

Postby Ex Satie » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:32 pm

BOE2K8 update: Monterrey, Mexico: Rd of 64 qualifying...lost to Spanish grinder (formerly 1525 in the world) 6-3 in the third. Play two more weeks in Torreon and Mazatlan

Hello everyone!! I know, it's been a few weeks since you've been able to read a BOE2K8 update (and i know you're probably going through withdrawal!!), but that's because I was training at RMTA and Four Seasons since the Midwest.

Now, I'm playing a three week stint in Mexico. I played my first round of qualifying here in Monterrey, and lost to a Spanish grinder (RIGAL-PEREZ, Marc, 1525 in 2005) 4-6, 6-3, 3-6.

The first two sets were fairly straightforward, in the first I started slow and he was hot, the second I hit 90% forehands and dictated the majority of the points.

In the third I fueled my momentum further by breaking immediately, but was broken right back. We were on serve until 3-4 when Marc hit three remarkable winners in a row topped off with a cherry of let cord luck for the break. The first winner came as I was running to net off a down the line approach and he hit an on the run, on the stretch, flick to the corner of the deuce serve box (think Rios). The next point I kicked out wide to his forehand (he's a lefty), he hit it down the line to my forehand, I drove it flat and wide to his backhand and he again found the flick to the short cross court for another winner (Rios...again). I couldn't believe it (especially since I was standing on that side!...and if you've ever seen me play you know how I can get to nearly anything, but I'm telling you these angles were ridiculous). Then I again came to the net on the next point and he hit yet another on the run, on the stretch backhand winner, but this time down the line (literally on the line) to go up 40-love on my serve. I won the next two points off service winners, and then on his third break point we had a long rally and he went for a drop shot, and it hit the let cord and dribbled over to my side (he got five let cords his way throughout the match...I got one). Then he served it out.

I had a lot of opportunities to win this match today, but to my opponents credit, he came up with some pretty amazing shots at the end when he needed it.

Am I disappointed? Of course!! A loss is a loss. However, there are two more weeks here and now I've got the kinks out. I have to admit the first set was ugly. I was shanking and pulling my eyes off the ball and not moving my feet. However, I got it together in the second and the third. Despite the rocky start to this series, I do feel like I'm back in tournament mode now. Also, let's not forget that I'm in Mexico...that alone takes some time to get used to. Seriously.

Okay, I'm going to eat some sincronazadas.

Hope you're all well.

-----------------
PS - If you'd like to post this or any other email I have ever written onto a website, or distribute this or any of my emails to anyone, in any form, you must have my expressed consent for these actions. Thank you.
-----------------
-------
--
William Boe-Wiegaard
Ex Satie
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby jdayusat » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:26 am

hilarious! It was a good effort...I mean afterall, he was playing Rios. lol. I've never heard someone make as many excuses for losing as this guy does. What are these people thinking who actually give him money? Will, come on man, it's time for a little reality check.
jdayusat

Postby Ex Satie » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:01 pm

Dear Family and Friends,

I wish I could report that I had won and qualified in doing so, but I lost 4-6, 6-2, 3-6 to the 6'5", ace/service winner machine Zachary Van Min of Australia in just under two and half hours during the hottest part of the day today.

Standing ten feet behind the baseline and playing "cat and mouse" games on Van Min's serve games, there was little I could do other than hope to get a look at a second serve. Even when he missed his first serve, his second serve and volley was very difficult to handle…at one point in the match I was returning on the ad side and ended up in the ally of the court next to mine!

The match was a "high level" according to Zach's father/coach (and former ATP player) whom I later approached to give praise on how well his twenty year old son played/served. He said it could have gone either way and that the two double faults I had thrown in my first service game of the third set cost me the match; I agreed.

The two double faults, along with only one first serve made throughout my first service game of the third set, essentially vaporized all the momentum I had gathered from the second set. From there Zach quickly held to go up the early break and 3-0. I managed to get back on track with my serve, but as it turned out, it was a little too late. Zach managed to hold at 5-3 despite having to hit a second serve down 0-30. This was my only real chance to break in the third set and get back into the match, but he stepped it up and proceeded to win the next four points with his serve and volley tactics.

The truth is there was little difference between Zach and I today. I'm playing well (save the double faults in the second game of the third set), so despite not qualifying, I'm staying positive and looking forward to next week's tournament in Mazatlan.

Adios por ahora.

Will
Ex Satie
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby Ex Satie » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:42 am

Canada- Challenger Qualies vs Gastao Elias
Well that was fun…I really don't remember the last time I was bageled indoors. Well I guess that just means I was long overdue. It's amazing how when you're facing a guy ranked 508 in the world, everything seems so daunting. Every ball you hit seems like it should have been hit harder, heavier, and closer to the line. You think you have to play like Federer or something. Then you lose the first set at love and you think to yourself, "WTF!! Steady mate. Ease the sheet. Breathe and play your game…you're not Federer so stop trying to play like him!!"

After the bagel was toasted and served, I calmed down and started holding serve. I even got to a break point at 3-4 to go up 5-3 and serve it out to bring it to a third! Of course Elias hits an incredible on the run backhand down the line laser, which he picked up from just a few inches off the court to stave off the break and eventually hold. Then I go up 30-love on my serve at 4-all and proceed to get broken by a combination of double faults and a few unforced errors. No worries, he still has to hold for the match and I did just get break point on his last serve game. I go up 0-30. He hits an ace to take it to 15-30. He misses his first serve and I, like an overzealous jerk, go for the WHOPPER inside-in forehand on the second serve and it basically hits the curtain on the fly. HUGE opportunity…squandered…30-all. Here I manage to pull out the drop shot from a few feet behind the baseline and of course it hits the net…not that it mattered, because he was there anyway as I hit it from behind the baseline!! I felt like I had just chugged a Blue-Raz icy from the massive brain freeze I apparently was suffering from…perhaps it was the cold Canadian air? 40-30…match-point…he serves out wide, I play the backhand cross and he stabs the volley down the line and that's all she wrote. 0-6, 4-6. (Elias lost to the 3rd seed today 7-6(4), 6-7(9), 1-6)

Every player out there who's had to play someone ranked way above them is familiar with the pressure of that situation. It's amazing how fast you'll start playing. Racing through what just happened in the last point. Racing to the next point. Racing to the locker room to throw your bag into the trash after you inevitably lose the match you probably could have won had you kept things together better upstairs and paced yourself.

At the highest levels tennis is truly mostly mental. It takes a mental beast to stay calm and focused, stick to the game plan, and make the quick and vital adjustments at those critical moments during a match. You know how you know you've got problems mentally when you're playing so well that your opponent has absolutely no chance for survival, and then on the very next point you go for a drop shot from 10 ft behind the baseline…IDIOT! "Wow," you'll say to yourself, "Where the heck did that come from!? Why did I even go for that?"

The problem is inexperience. I just haven't played enough tournaments. The average player will play 35 tournaments per year. Guess how many I play a year…14. Yes, that's right…14 tournaments per year. That's lame. This is why I can't get a rhythm.
I've got the game, no one who knows anything about professional tennis will tell you otherwise, but my lack of funds bothers me to no end and has always been my Achilles heel. My insufficient funds syndrome has become chronic and prevents me from putting myself in these high level matches on a consistent basis. Without that I can't get the rhythm I need to progress. For example, Fall 2007 I played five weeks in a row in Mexico. The first two weeks I played horribly, the third was okay, the fourth was good, and the fifth was great and I beat the highest ranked guy at the event…Miguel Gallardo-Valles (from Mexico) who at the time was ranked 474 in the world. Just as no two people are alike, nor are players. Some players warm-up for five minutes and they're good to go…others need to play for 45 minutes or an hour.

I'm not saying I need to play week after week after week, but I'd like to be able to play one calendar year with a full 35-tournament schedule. I'd also like to bring my coach, Jay Devashetty, with me so he can see me in tournament mode and not just in practice where there is no pressure to win. Everyone knows practice is not the same as competition. It just isn't. There is no substitute for tournaments. If you want to progress in tennis you need to play tournaments…as many as your mind and body can handle.

Tennis is a brutal game. It's not for the weary. It's truly a battle between your opponent and yourself. Eliminating yourself as an opponent is half the battle…and it is a war for anyone who strives to be the best. If you're just a recreational player and you've never tried to push yourself to your limits in anything, then you're probably not going to understand a word of this, but if you're like me, and you've got that unquenchable thirst for reaching the mountain top, then you know how intense things can become out there. It's what drives us. It's why Nadal is #1 now. He's got the thirst. It took a nearly six hour match on grass at Wimbledon to de-thrown King Federer, but Nadal did it. It was unbelievable. It was inspiring. No wonder TIME magazine included Nadal in the top 100 most influential men in 2008 (Obama is at the top).

So this is it for 2008. There are a few more events I could play (two Challengers in Pueblo and Cancun, Mexico), but I'm going to concentrate on trying to raise enough money to be able to play a full tournament schedule in 2009, because it's that important. I've realized from playing at the Pilot Pen and this Challenger that the best players have coaches with them and play 35 tournaments a year. There are simply too many players out there with that situation and for me to take it to the next level this is what needs to happen. I've said it from the beginning, but nobody seems to understand how critical financial backing is in tennis. It's a rich man's sport, and I am not rich enough!

If you guys enjoy these emails, find what I'm doing to be inspiring, or want me to "make it" then please think of people you know who have an affinity for tennis. Tell them about me and willboe.com, or have them email or call me. Let's do this together. I'll continue to put in the hard work on the court, in the gym and make all the necessary sacrifices; in return, I ask that you guys help me find that $100,000 I'll need to play a full 35 tournament schedule in 2009 and bring my coach along to as many events as possible. Considering that I've raised about $50,000 over the past two and half years, this is going to be a challenge, but something has to give…either I quit, or you guys step up and help me.

Currently, there are 351 people on this email list. If you guys each donate $285/yr = $23.75/month = 90¢/day to willboe.com until I make it to the point where I can pay my own way then maybe one day I'll be playing tennis on ESPN and you'll be able to turn to your friends and say, "I sponsored that guy!"

Bear in mind that not everybody on my email list has donated. Most haven't. Most can't afford to. Bottom line is this, give what you can. If you're a billionaire, donate $10,000/yr. If you're like my college roommates then donate $365/yr. Obviously we all live on different budgets, but just because you don't think $1 is going to be helpful, you're wrong! Every little bit helps (e.g. Obama and his $600,000,000 in online donations!!).

I'm not running for President, so I don't need 600 million dollars to fund a 22 month presidential campaign, but I am running to become a top 100 ATP player and I need sponsorship until I'm 250 in the world where the prize money is just good enough to break even...yeah, there's no money tennis. It's a problem. But it doesn't have to be a show stopper. Those of you who have seen me play know what I'm capable of, I just need legitimate sponsorship so I can get in gear, stay in gear, and shift up to higher levels.

And for those of you (Jeff) who think it's not possible, you're wrong! So stop with the negativity. It is possible! I've beaten guys ranked as high as 474 in the world and gone breakers with a guy ranked 250 with relatively no financial backing. All the players I know say I'm playing at a 500 or better in the world level, just need to put it all together. Players have called me "the biggest underachiever they've ever seen." Not that I'm proud of this reputation, but that means they know I'm capable of so much more. I know I am. People who watch me play know I am. I just need real sponsorship. Imagine if I had what I needed! What level would I be playing at then? Top 100? Top 10?? Impossible is nothing.

Heck if Bud Shultz (Bates' first All-American tennis player) can make it to 43 in the world after graduating…why can't I follow in his footsteps? I had a far superior college record than Buddy, so why couldn't I do the same on the pro level? I know I can. I just can't afford it…yet.

So, please, go to willboe.com and donate! It's a click of a button!

Think of it as one less Christmas present to worry about!

Au revoir à tantôt!

Will
Ex Satie
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby tennissux2007 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:51 pm

i wouldn't give this joker 285 turkish lira. wtf is he thinking?
tennissux2007
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby Ex Satie » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:22 am

Havent posted these in a while because I feel sorry for this guy a little.

Lost in the semi-finals to the 1st seed, Cory Parr yesterday at the USTA National Men's Open Indoor Championship at the Billie Jean King US Open National Tennis Center in Flushing, New York

Dear Family and Friends,

I lost in the semis to #1 seed and defending champ, Cory Parr, 6-1, 6-4.

It was a fairly one sided affair. Cory played flat and aggressive on the indoor hard courts which worked very well against my clay court grinding heavy topspin game style.

What went wrong?

Well, for starters, I was fresh off a two week break from playing any tennis, aside from hitting the gym, I hadn't been practicing as Erik went back to Montreal shortly after our three hour, 6-4, 6-7(6), 5-7 indoor clay court battle we had at the Hardscrabble Thanksgiving Prize Money Classic, and my coach went on vacation, along with most everyone else in the world.

So, that was a big factor in my inability to keep more than a few balls in play in a row and a first serve percentage hovering around 20%.

Another excuse was the early morning start. 9AM is rough especially with an hour and half commute from CT! With the alarm going off at 6:00AM and having to fight from falling asleep at the wheel from White Plains onward (~45 mins), I was in sleep mode, instead of the preferable beast mode.

Look, excuses are the nails in the house of failure, and I'm not trying to make them. For those of you who are wondering what happened, there it is. Personally, it's never fun losing, but it's part of the game. Next time I play Cory it will be a much different scenario as I now have a much better idea of how to beat him and look forward to meeting him out on the Futures and Challengers circuits in 2009.

Thanks again to everyone who showed up over the past week it was great to feel the love!

Have a happy and healthy New Years everyone!!!

Skol!

--
--
--
William Boe-Wiegaard
Ex Satie
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby Ex Satie » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:49 pm

Dear Family and Friends,

I'm excited to say that I won again and am through to the round of 32!

As it turned out, Richard Brooks, was my mystery opponent this morning. According to his ITF player profile (see below for the link) he was ranked near 1000 from 2000-2007! A true warrior of the game, Brooks has played in 51 singles and 96 doubles Futures and Challengers main draws (mostly Futures)!

Considering I've played in 5 singles and 6 doubles main draws, I was slightly outmatched in the experience department, but he's been coaching for the past year, although he's still in tip top shape physically. To add to matters, he was Jelena Jankovic's hitting partner and travelled with her full-time until just recently when he started working with this up-and-coming junior from England.

Brooks was clean off of both wings, good racket head acceleration, and a decent mover. I lost the coin toss and he elected to serve. He held, broke me at love, and consolidated the break all in about five minutes, leaving me down a break at love-three with a sinking feeling in my stomach and my mind racing to come up with a solution to this "fun situation" I had so quickly found myself in.

Luckily, I was able to swing just a little harder and push him back onto his heels enough that I wasn't just getting whipped around the court. I also started serving and volleying, and chipping and charging as I realized his one handed back-hand passing shot was not holding up for him and my volleys were feeling solid.

So, playing a bit more aggressively and closing the net more than I'm usually comfortable with, I was able to crawl back to win the match 6-4, 6-2. He asked me how many points (as in ATP world ranking points) I have and, flattered by the assumption, I was slightly happy to say, "none…yet." He told me I liked my game but needed to play a bit more aggressively on a few shots here and there especially if I want to contend with guys 200 or better. I thanked him for his advice.

See Richard Brook's ITF player profile:

http://www.itftennis.com/mens/players/p ... r=10016938

Now I'm into the round of 32 and have to play, 9th seed, 914 in the world, 6'5" from Canada, Milos Raonic. He's a very talented player and it will be a tough match…I can't wait!!

Click here for Milos' ITF player profile:

http://www.itftennis.com/mens/players/p ... =100052417

But for now, I'm resting up and excited for more Aussie Open!!!

Click here for my ITF player profile:

http://www.itftennis.com/mens/players/p ... =100003276

Click here for the draw:

http://www.usta.com/USTA/Global/Pro_Ten ... _draw.ashx

I'm happy to post my second win of 2009! Hopefully, many more to come!

Keep'em crossed for me!

WBW

PS - I know my profile says I'm a lefty, haha, I put it like that because I once played a kid who had that on his profile and when I showed up he was a righty…so the night before I was visualizing playing a lefty thinking of how I would need to hit down the line backhands and approach with crosscourt forehands…etc, and then I showed up to play and he was righty! It was pretty funny so I decided to copy him.
Ex Satie
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby bkilray » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:36 pm

will boe just won a money tournament in the islands.........I am not sure if this means much, other than from this point on he will probably be unstoppable. I will bet m life savings of 784.21 that he has a point by August...... any takers.
bkilray
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby tennissux2007 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:38 pm

are you sure you want to place that bet? that 2-1 inj. win is not all that convincing..
tennissux2007
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Return to Archives