week |22-23| ATP: Roland Garros (+Q)

Entries Archive

Postby Judio » Wed May 24, 2006 7:39 am

Does anyone have any lists for the regular Doubles
Teams who are playing at Roland Garros??

I know the deadline is not until Tuesday for entry
Judio
Forum Master
Forum Master

Re: Hewitt missing the French Open?

Postby PatatRiek » Wed May 24, 2006 8:01 am

Roddick may not be able to take part in this year's French Open
regards,
PatatRiek

BELGIAN TENNIS
PatatRiek
Forum Emperor
Forum Emperor

Postby Nev » Thu May 25, 2006 8:59 am

I heard that Calleri is not going to participate because of his injury. I don't have sources, but it's probable, so be alert for this withdrawal.
Nev
Nev

Postby fran » Thu May 25, 2006 1:23 pm

Nev wrote:I heard that Calleri is not going to participate because of his injury. I don't have sources, but it's probable, so be alert for this withdrawal.

You are right :( . Calleri decided not to play in RG. Here´s a transcription of the text of La Nacion Newspaper where they admit this information:

"El argentino Agustín Calleri anunció hoy que no jugará el torneo de tenis de Roland Garros, que comienza este domingo en París, informaron los organizadores en un comunicado. "
fran
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby PatatRiek » Sat May 27, 2006 1:19 am

OUT : Calleri
IN : LL(TBA)

any other official withdrawals? or is Calleri the only one?
regards,
PatatRiek

BELGIAN TENNIS
PatatRiek
Forum Emperor
Forum Emperor

Postby renaudb » Sat May 27, 2006 2:21 am

Clement is out too... since he has known his first opponent maybe. ;)
Source: eurosport.fr
renaudb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby PatatRiek » Sat May 27, 2006 10:21 am

thanks for the info renaudb

OUT : Calleri, Clement
IN : 2 LL (TBA after LL draw)

LL draw contains : Van Gemerden, Kim, Saulnier & Falla
regards,
PatatRiek

BELGIAN TENNIS
PatatRiek
Forum Emperor
Forum Emperor

Postby Eric49 » Sat May 27, 2006 11:42 am

Can somebody tell me when they will put the qualifiers and lucky losers in place?
For all dutch tennisfans visit:
www.tennisactueel.nl
Eric49
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby PatatRiek » Sat May 27, 2006 11:44 am

Eric49 wrote:Can somebody tell me when they will put the qualifiers and lucky losers in place?

it's done ... we have to wait on the webmaster to update the site
regards,
PatatRiek

BELGIAN TENNIS
PatatRiek
Forum Emperor
Forum Emperor

Postby PatatRiek » Sat May 27, 2006 12:23 pm

OUT : Calleri, Clement and Hanescu
IN : Van Gemerden, Kim & Falla

Saulnier is the unlucky loser (for now)
regards,
PatatRiek

BELGIAN TENNIS
PatatRiek
Forum Emperor
Forum Emperor

Postby smucav » Sat May 27, 2006 12:48 pm

Everyone who complained about Gimelstob's actions at Wimbledon last year should get a chuckle out of the nickname for the lucky loser rule change:
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_te ... y_los.html
May 27, 2006
Lucky Lucky Loser

PARIS -- Under the former Grand Slam rules, Kevin Kim of Los Angeles would be in the main draw of the French Open right now.

But there have been some revisions and, so, at 10 a.m. today (4 a.m. on the East Coast), Kim can do nothing but wait and hope that his name gets pulled out of the hat, or cup or whatever the ITF will use to determine who gets lucky loser spots in the main draw.

Lucky losers are the highest ranked players to lose in the final round of qualifying. They replace main draw players who withdraw before the start of the tournament, which is exactly what Arnaud Clement did early Saturday, opening up a spot opposite Roger Federer in the first round.

If the old rules were in place, Kim, who is the highest ranked loser in the final qualifying round, would be in and would have made at least $14,000 (first round losers money), which is no small amount for someone trying to clear $100,000 every year -- before taxes.

But now, because of The Gimelstob Rule, the four highest ranked players to lose in the last round of qualifying compete for the opening or openings in the main draw. If Clement is the only player to withdraw, Kim has a 25 percent chance of getting in. If two withdraw, 50 percent. And so on.

The rule change has been considered for some time, but got impetus at the 2005 Wimbledon when Justin Gimelstob, who lives in Delray Beach, played one game against George Bastl in the final round of qualifying and retired, knowing he would get into the tournament as a lucky loser. He had a bad back and figured why injure it further.

He was smart and entirely within the rules, but it didn't look good, and so we now have something of a lottery for lucky loser spots in the Grand Slams.

More later, when the names are pulled.

Posted by Charles Bricker at 06:37 AM
smucav
Forum Emperor
Forum Emperor

Postby Ben M » Sat May 27, 2006 3:14 pm

Can someone explain me why Roger has to play against Hartfield (who qualified) and not a LL?
Ben M
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

What kind of rule is this !!!

Postby Lucas Freley » Sat May 27, 2006 6:21 pm

Can anyone in this Forum explain why Hartfield has to take Clement's place as a lucky looser, if he won his right to be in the tournament as a qualifier?.

I mean, the draw was already displayed, and he was one of the 16 players that qualifyied, and this 16 players had a place assigned in advance.

Copy of the main page published by the official site of Roland Garros:
Clément runs out of time
Arnaud Clément has been forced to withdraw from the tournament after failing to fully recover from a muscle tear he suffered three weeks ago. The Frenchman was due to face world number 1 Roger Federer on Sunday on the Philippe-Chatrier court. "It had healed properly but it was not strong enough to play the French Open," explained Bernard Montalvan chief medical officer for the tournament. "He will continue to have treatment and a follow-up scan in a fortnight." The world number 56 will be replaced in the men's' singles by a lucky loser.www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/articles/2006-05-27/200605271148728703410.html

Aren´t the rules clear for the frenchies???!!!!
LucastheBest
Lucas Freley
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby buddyholly » Sat May 27, 2006 8:20 pm

The ATP Rules for Grand Slams for 2006 state that if anyone withdraws from the main draw before the eventual qualifiers are allocated their 16 slots, then the qualifiers and lucky losers will ''go in the hat'' together to be drawn for all the available spots.
After these spots are allocated, if there are any further withdrawals the next lucky losers in line will fill the openings as they appear.
So Falla, van Gemerden and Kim went into the hat with the other 16, to be drawn for the 19 available spots. Now that all the available spots have been filled by a draw, if anyone else subsequently withdraws Saulnier will go directly to that spot, if he makes himself available.

Maybe the Gimlestob Rule was also applied here. By keeping withdrawal spots exclusively for lucky losers it would be theoretically possible for a highly ranked player in the quallies to see that the spots opened up by withdrawals were all ''easier'' than the 16 qualifier spots. In that case he could lose the final qualifying round, knowing that he would get a lucky loser spot, guaranteeing an easier first round in the main draw. Unlikely, but possible. (And under the new rules there would need to be at least 4 lucky loser spots available before he can confidently tank his match).
buddyholly
Cool Newbie
Cool Newbie

Re: What kind of rule is this !!!

Postby PatatRiek » Sun May 28, 2006 1:15 am

Lucas Freley wrote:I mean, the draw was already displayed, and he was one of the 16 players that qualifyied, and this 16 players had a place assigned in advance.
actually there were 17 spots available, 16 qualifiers & 1 LL (Calleri pulled out before the draw was made). this is not a new rule, they never made difference between a Q&LL when placing them in the draw. what they write on the site is kinda confusing, Clement was replaced by a LL but it was wrong to assume that LL would have to play against Federer.

Charles Bricker wrote:If the old rules were in place, Kim, who is the highest ranked loser in the final qualifying round, would be in and would have made at least $14,000 (first round losers money), which is no small amount for someone trying to clear $100,000 every year -- before taxes.

Van Gemerden was the lucky loser with the highest ranking, not Kim.

Saulnier is the only victim from the Gimelstob rule, he would have been in the draw if the old rules were in pace, instead of Falla. but he can still make it if another player pulls out
regards,
PatatRiek

BELGIAN TENNIS
PatatRiek
Forum Emperor
Forum Emperor

Re: What kind of rule is this !!!

Postby smucav » Sun May 28, 2006 8:45 am

PatatRiek wrote:Van Gemerden was the lucky loser with the highest ranking, not Kim.
Bricker posted that entry early Saturday morning before van Gemerden played his qualifying round match so he wasn't a lucky loser candidate then.
smucav
Forum Emperor
Forum Emperor

Postby Lucas Freley » Sun May 28, 2006 8:53 am

Oh thanks PatatRiek for your explanation. I am kinda pleasure.

The only question is, do you know the moment (I mean time exactly h/m/s) when Clement (or Ice Man Hanescu) decided to pull out of the Tournament ? They quit before the drawing lot of the qualifiers ? Or at the same moment ?

Bye
LucastheBest
Lucas Freley
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby PatatRiek » Sun May 28, 2006 10:56 am

Lucas Freley wrote:Oh thanks PatatRiek for your explanation. I am kinda pleasure.

The only question is, do you know the moment (I mean time exactly h/m/s) when Clement (or Ice Man Hanescu) decided to pull out of the Tournament ? They quit before the drawing lot of the qualifiers ? Or at the same moment ?

Bye
i don't know when those lads pulled out, but they must have pulled out before the qualifiers were placed. otherwise the LLs would have gotten their spot
regards,
PatatRiek

BELGIAN TENNIS
PatatRiek
Forum Emperor
Forum Emperor

Previous

Return to Archive 2004-2007