week |5| ATP: Delray Beach, Vina Del Mar, Zagreb

Entries Archive

Roddick isn't in the draw....

Postby guest22 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:31 pm

Andy may have received a WC, but he isn't in the draw they just posted on the ATP site....weird.
guest22

Re: Roddick isn't in the draw....

Postby kennycalhoo » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:07 am

[quote="guest22"]Andy may have received a WC, but he isn't in the draw they just posted on the ATP site....weird.[/quote]

I'm too lazy right now to go get the link, but the Delray site says Roddick decided not to take the WC last minute, and to continue training for the DC tie.
kennycalhoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby Rosie » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:15 am

Zabaleta OUT of Viña del Mar. Here is a link to the story in the Chilean press http://www.tercera.cl/medio/articulo/0, ... 12,00.html
No reason given, - just a bit about the problems he had there in the past.
Rosie
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Roddick isn't in the draw....

Postby Sander (guest) » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:16 am

guest22 wrote:Andy may have received a WC, but he isn't in the draw they just posted on the ATP site....weird.

Can you post the link to the draw here please? I can't find it on the ATP-site! Thanks in advance... grtz, Sander
Sander (guest)

Postby Sander » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:28 am

Or were you refering to the qualifying draw? In that case I already found it!
Sander

Postby Jelena » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:24 am

zicofirol wrote:that sucks, I hope he is ok for davis cup and B.A.

According to a Brazilian paper he's at least nominated for the Davis Cup team.
Jelena
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby PatatRiek » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:52 am

late update

Zagreb

OUT : Vliegen and Ascione from ALT
IN : Starace

regards
PatatRiek
regards,
PatatRiek

BELGIAN TENNIS
PatatRiek
Forum Emperor
Forum Emperor

Postby Gamass » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:32 pm

late update Delray Beach

OUT : James Blake and Paul Goldstein
(and Ivan Navarro Pastor,Santiago Ventura and Janko Tipsarevic from ALT )

IN : Ramon Delgado and Olivier Patience
Gamass
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby Patrik77 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:04 am

Late update Vina del Mar

OUT: Zabaleta, Hernandez (and Delgado from ALT list)
IN: Capdeville, Garcia, Del Potro
Pat
Patrik77
Forum Emperor
Forum Emperor

Postby Jdev » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:06 pm

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-roddickspec280jan28,0,7013632.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

"Why would I get a wild card into an American tournament, [being the] top-ranked American?" Roddick asked, taking a sarcastic backhand swat at whomever he deemed at fault. "Why would that happen? That makes too much sense."

Boo-hoo, Andy. Next time enter a tournament on time.

He really comes off as a whiny brat in this piece.
Jdev
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:10 pm

Jdev wrote:He really comes off as a whiny brat in this piece.
How do you think you come off? Know your audience before posting.

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:21 pm

BTW, here's the real story if anyone is interested:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-delraynb30jan29,0,4976151.story?coll=sfla-sports-headlines

First the TD screwed himself & this year's tournament by giving away all the wild cards weeks in advance (two to players ranked #246 & #300). Then he further screwed himself & the tournament (possibly for eternity) by announcing Roddick's appearance in the qualifying mere hours after he agreed not to. The tournament is already in financial trouble. Agassi's appearance may be enough to get them in the black for this year, but who's going to rescue them in the years to come? Certainly not Roddick (who grew up ten miles away) after this debacle.

Postby Jdev » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:10 pm

Anonymous wrote:How do you think you come off? Know your audience before posting.

I understand that Roddick would be disappointed about the situation. However, his comments implied that he took his entry for granted despite not entering on time. I'm sure the tournament would have liked him there, but there was a misunderstanding, no wild cards left and that's the way it goes sometimes. Moaning about a system that has been established is a bit immature.
Jdev
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:20 pm

Did you even read the article (from Sunday) before posting your second diatribe? Even though he was rightfully annoyed about the shortage of wild cards (& two of them being given to what many would call undeserving players), Roddick agreed to play the qualifying (which is unheard of for players of his stature). The TD--who created the wild card shortage to start with--exploited Roddick to sell tickets to his financially unstable tournament which was the one thing he had agreed not to do. Now Roddick will probably never play what is essentially his hometown tournament due to the extreme boneheadedness of the TD. Agassi won't play there next year if he's able to play the AOpen & the tournament will be back to its usual weak field.

Postby Jdev » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:32 pm

No, I didn't read the article, my apologies, I didn't know that side of the story. I hope you can understand the sentiment behind my original post, which was made before the second part of the series of events came to light.
Jdev
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby Fee » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:16 pm

This whole thing was a sorry, sordid event, made worse by a lame reporter doing a VERY poor job. Andy had a very bad practice on site Friday and may have been venting his spleen on court, but I do not believe for one minute that he would shove his Davis Cup duties in anyone's face, for any reason. He knows the ATP entry rules, he knew about the wildcard situation, and I for one seriously doubt the quotes in that first article. Andy will probably never set foot in Delray Beach again, and I wouldn't blame him for it.
Fee
Forum King
Forum King

Postby smucav » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:08 am

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/sports/epaper/2006/02/01/a1c_delray_0201.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=46
Too late now: There was no room for Roddick in the main draw here because all the wild-card spots had been awarded before the top-ranked American expressed an interest in playing. Tuesday night, after losing his first-round match to Xavier Malisse, one of Delray's wild cards said he might have considered withdrawing himself if it meant getting Roddick in.

"It's crazy," said Sargis Sargsian, who was playing his first match on tour since last summer. "I kind of felt bad having it. It's a strange situation. On Friday, I heard that Andy would play in the qualifying tournament. If somebody had approached me (about withdrawing), I would have given it consideration, but at the same time I've been working so hard and I was excited about playing."
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-delrayten01feb01,0,2994006.story?coll=sfla-sports-front
Sargsian inadvertently found himself in the middle of a pre-tournament controversy as hometown star and No. 3-ranked Andy Roddick was unable to receive last-minute entry into the tournament because there were no more wild cards to be had.

Some thought, including wild card Mardy Fish and USTA coach Ricardo Acuna, that the 392nd-ranked Sargsian, who had retired after the U.S. Open and was basically along for the ride with Agassi, his close friend, should've surrendered his wild card.

"It's one of the craziest things around the tour,'' Sargsian said. "[Roddick's] so good for tennis and he lives around here, so I kind of felt bad having it.

"I found out about it Friday, and then I thought he was going to play [qualifiers]. I think if somebody would approach me to give it up I would have sure considered it. At the same time, I've been working so hard.''
smucav
Forum Emperor
Forum Emperor

Previous

Return to Archive 2004-2007