week |46| ATP: Tennis Masters Cup Shanghai

Entries Archive

week |46| ATP: Tennis Masters Cup Shanghai

Postby Elikian » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:20 am

Dunno if this belongs at Entry List or not actually..? But it seemed the most likely place to me. If not, I'm sorry.

----

Anyone know who are already secured of a place in the masters cup?

I thought it was

1. Federer 1245
2. Nadal 953
3. Roddick 549
8. Safin 346 (AOpen winner)

Is Hewitt already safe with 498?

And how about the alternates, who has still got a chance?
Davydenko is currently 7th with 393 points
I think within reasonable margins Nalbandian is about the last who might make it, he's currently at 322, so he needs a good week now and a SF in Paris. Which seems possible to me. Ljubicic, Puerta and Gaudio are only 7 points apart for the 1st alternate spot, which might be likely to go in with injury doubts at Federer and Safin.

4. Hewitt 498
5. Agassi 455
6. Coria 437
7. Davydenko 393
----
8. Ljubicic 346
10. Gaudio 345
11. Puerta 339
12. Nalbandian 322
----
13. Ferrer 299
14. Gonzalez 295
Last edited by Elikian on Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elikian
Forum Emperor
Forum Emperor

Postby Patrik77 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:39 am

Already qualified for Shanghai are:

Federer
Nadal
Hewitt
Roddick
Safin
Pat
Patrik77
Forum Emperor
Forum Emperor

Re: Masters Cup

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:33 am

With Puerta losing today, these are mathematically in:

1. Federer 1245
2. Nadal 953
3. Roddick 549
4. Hewitt 498
5. Agassi 455

6. Coria 437 is in unless Ljubicic or Gaudio win Lyon (both need a win to add points since their 5th result is high) AND Nalbandian does at least finals in Basel AND TWO of those three or Puerta are finalists at Paris AND Coria loses before third round in Basel and PAris.
7. Davydenko 393 looks good. If he adds points in St. Pete he might just need a QF in PAris or none of the four below wins Paris.
----
8. Ljubicic 346
10. Gaudio 345
11. Puerta 339
12. Nalbandian 322
----
So I think these four are fighting for the ninth (even tenth?) spot and hope that someone withdraws. There, Ljubicic and Nalbandian have the best chances. Now, if none the 8 who qualify withdraws BEFORE the tournament, Nalbi and Ljubi, for different reasons, are not likely to go as reserves. Puerta would go; Gaudio I'm not sure.

Can anyone assess the chances that Federer, Safin, Hewitt and Agassi will play?

Re: Masters Cup

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:33 am

With Puerta losing today, these are mathematically in:

1. Federer 1245
2. Nadal 953
3. Roddick 549
4. Hewitt 498
5. Agassi 455

6. Coria 437 is in unless Ljubicic or Gaudio win Lyon (both need a win to add points since their 5th result is high) AND Nalbandian does at least finals in Basel AND TWO of those three or Puerta are finalists at Paris AND Coria loses before third round in Basel and PAris.
7. Davydenko 393 looks good. If he adds points in St. Pete he might just need a QF in PAris or none of the four below wins Paris.
----
8. Ljubicic 346
10. Gaudio 345
11. Puerta 339
12. Nalbandian 322
----
So I think these four are fighting for the ninth (even tenth?) spot and hope that someone withdraws. There, Ljubicic and Nalbandian have the best chances. Now, if none the 8 who qualify withdraws BEFORE the tournament, Nalbi and Ljubi, for different reasons, are not likely to go as reserves. Puerta would go; Gaudio I'm not sure.

Can anyone assess the chances that Federer, Safin, Hewitt and Agassi will play?

Postby florentibus » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:12 am

How is Agassi mathematically IN?

Can't Nalbi,Davydenko, and Coria pass him?

Agassi: 455+0+0=455pts.
Nalbi: 322+49+100 = 471pts. (basel win and paris win)
Davydenko: 393+ 35+70 = 498pts. (st pete win and paris finalist)
Coria: 437+45 = 482pts. (paris SF)
florentibus

Postby ovg » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:04 pm

Can someone answer that math question?
I think that possibly Agassi stopped playing too early in the year, having miscalculated the number of points that others might get. It is true that many things have to fall into place for Agassi to be eliminated, but both Coria and Nalbandian are having pretty good results right now.
ovg
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:23 pm

You are right. In my previous posting I didn't take into account the possibility of Davydenko passing Agassi (and Coria for that matter) or Coria passing Agassi. Pretty clumsy on my part. Things are more interesting than I thought they were, in particular after Coria's loss today.

florentibus wrote:How is Agassi mathematically IN?

Can't Nalbi,Davydenko, and Coria pass him?

Agassi: 455+0+0=455pts.
Nalbi: 322+49+100 = 471pts. (basel win and paris win)
Davydenko: 393+ 35+70 = 498pts. (st pete win and paris finalist)
Coria: 437+45 = 482pts. (paris SF)

Postby ovg » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:53 pm

We'll have to see what happens, of course.
Maybe the last time Agassi would make the year end tournament, so of course it would be good to have him there. I understand why he plays as sparingly as he does, but I'd hate to think that he did the math wrong!!!
He needs someone to run all the probabilities for him.
ovg
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:45 am

Wil Agassi play or will he not.

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:30 am

Australian Open champion Marat Safin is out of next month's Masters Cup in Shanghai because of a knee injury.

Postby smucav » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:03 am

Since Nalbandian lost today, Agassi will qualify (according to ATP).
smucav
Forum Emperor
Forum Emperor

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:29 am

Now if Safin is out, Agassi and Coria are in. Two remaining spots go to Davidenko, Ljubicic, Nalbandian, Gaudio or Puerta and Gonzalez if he wins tomorrow. Johansson (and Gonzalez if he does not win) may have an outside chance but he/they will need to win PAris and others not to do well at all. With the current Paris Draw, these are, potentially, the key matches:
Roddick vs Nalbi QF
Ljubicic vs. Johanson 3rd round
Stephanek vs. Gonzo 3rd round
Davydenko vs. Ancic 3rd round
Gonzo vs, Davydenko QF

Much more remote match ups to watch:

Puerta vs. Ljubicic QF
Ljubicic vs. Nalbi SF
Gaudio vs. Ginepri 3rd round
Gaudio vs. Coria QF

Postby Kinetix » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:31 pm

Safin out??
Is true??

:?
Kinetix
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby guest1 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:53 am

safin, hewitt, agassi out
coria, dawydenko in (besides federer,nadal,roddick)
guest1

Postby Judio » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:55 am

guest1 wrote:safin, hewitt, agassi out

Could you post the Facts and not speculation

Hewitt COULD miss it but has not said anything for sure
Judio
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby Björki » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:27 am

guest1 wrote:safin, hewitt, agassi out

where DID you hear this??
Björki
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby smucav » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:43 am

No one has withdrawn & no one else (after Agassi) has qualified so only two places remain:

http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/en/media/2005ITW/ATPTennisWeekly37.pdf
SHANGHAI: THE SCENARIOS...
Here is a look at what the players in contention for a Shanghai place must do in Paris:
Guillermo Coria: 1) R16 in Paris 2) R48 and Davydenko does not reach Final. If Davydenko reaches Final, then Ljubicic/Gaudio/Nalbandian/Puerta can not win title.
Nikolay Davydenko: 1) Final 2) SF if Nalbandian/Gaudio/Puerta/Ljubicic do not win title. 3) QF if Nalbandian/Gonzalez/Gaudio/Puerta/Ljubicic do not win title.
Ivan Ljubicic: 1) Final if Davydenko does not reach QF and Gaudio/Gonzalez do not win title. 2) Win Title if Davydenko does not reach Final or Coria loses first match.
Gaston Gaudio: 1) Wins 2) Final if Ljubicic/Nalbandian/Puerta don’t win title and Davydenko does not reach QF.
David Nalbandian: 1) Wins title and Davydenko does not reach Final or Coria loses first match. 2) Final --> Gaudio can not reach Final and Davydenko can not reach QF and Gonzalez can not win title.
Mariano Puerta: 1) Wins title and Davydenko does not reach Final or Coria loses first match. 2) Final and Gonzalez does not win Title, Gaudio does not reach Final and Davydenko does not reach QF.
Fernando Gonzalez: 1) Wins title. 2) If he Wins Basel --> Final and Puerta/Ljubicic/Nalbandian/Johansson do not win title and Davydenko loses first match.
Thomas Johansson: 1) Wins title and Gaudio does not reach Final and Davydenko does not reach QF.
David Ferrer: 1) Wins title and Gaudio/Gonzalez do not reach Final and Davydenko loses first match.
smucav
Forum Emperor
Forum Emperor

1 or 2 weeks??

Postby cogliati » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:46 am

Is the Singles Master played in 1 or 2 weeks??? Or is it 1 for singles and the second week for doubles???

thanks
Lorenzo
cogliati
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:27 am

Postby Elikian » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:14 am

Coria out and Davydenko in R16 reduces to:

SHANGHAI: THE SCENARIOS...
Here is a look at what the players in contention for a Shanghai place must do in Paris:
Guillermo Coria: 1) Davydenko does not reach Final. If Davydenko reaches Final, then Ljubicic/Gaudio/Nalbandian/Puerta can not win title.
Nikolay Davydenko: 1) Final 2) SF if Nalbandian/Gaudio/Puerta/Ljubicic do not win title. 3) QF if Nalbandian/Gonzalez/Gaudio/Puerta/Ljubicic do not win title.
Ivan Ljubicic: 1) Wins 2) Final if Davydenko does not reach QF and Gaudio/Gonzalez do not win title.
Gaston Gaudio: 1) Wins 2) Final if Ljubicic/Nalbandian/Puerta don’t win title and Davydenko does not reach QF.
David Nalbandian: 1) Wins title 2) Final, then Gaudio can not reach Final and Davydenko can not reach QF and Gonzalez can not win title.
Mariano Puerta: 1) Wins title 2) Final and Gonzalez does not win Title, Gaudio does not reach Final and Davydenko does not reach QF.
Fernando Gonzalez: 1) Wins title.
Thomas Johansson: 1) Wins title and Gaudio does not reach Final and Davydenko does not reach QF.
David Ferrer: OUT
Elikian
Forum Emperor
Forum Emperor

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:09 pm

puerta out!

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:08 am

Coria in!

From Safin's web page:

"02.11.05 Marat News
Marat has today officially withdrawn from playing at the Shanghai Masters Cup BUT he will go there to do promotional work for the Masters Cup and Shanghai. So people in Shanghai will still see him and I am sure there will be chances for signing for people too."

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:00 pm

Fernando Gonzalez out

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:29 pm

NAlbadian out...

Postby Judio » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:43 am

IF Safin has withdrawn

then Coria AND Davydenko are now guaranteed a place in Masters
Judio
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby florentino » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:54 am

If Safin has withdrawn, then guys like Ferrero still have a chance of getting through as alternates.
florentino

Postby Judio » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:56 am

1 Federer
2 Nadal
3 Roddick
4 Hewitt
5 Agassi
6 Coria
7 Davydenko
8 ??
=========
Alternate ??

As at 19:00 CET on Thursday
Ljubicic Gaudio Ferrer Ginepri Robredo and Hrbaty
still had a chance of the 8th Spot
Judio
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby guest1 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:32 pm

dawydenko as 7th player(418 pts.) in, as only one of ljubicic and gaudio is able to overtake him.

standings for last spot:

ljubicic 371(needs final if gaudio doesn't win title but ferrer or robredo win title;or if robredo and ferrer dont win title gaudio loses same round or earlier)
gaudio 370 (one more win than ljubicic, final if robredo/ferrer win title)
ferrer 324 (needs to win title, lju and gau must not reach the final) robredo 298 (wins title after beating ljubicic and ferrer, gaudio not in the final)
guest1

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:20 pm

Ferrer out.

Davydenko in. Eight (seventh with a win) spot to Ljubi (most likely) or Gaudio. The other of these two gets the ninth spot (alternate).

If Hewitt or Agassi withdraw, the ninth is in and Nalbi is tha alternate. If both withdraw, Nalbi is in and Puerta (or Stepanek winning Paris) is alternate. The next in alternate list would be Gonzo.

Top ten entry-End of year:

Unless Nalbi or Puerta (or Gonzo or Stepanek) get to Shangai and win a match, it's fixed with Safin at #10. Fed #1, Nadal #2 (1st top ten year)and Rodick almost certainly at #3, and some room for changes between spots 4 and 9, currently:

4. Hewitt
5. Agassi
6. Coria (3rd top ten year)
7. Davydenko (1st top ten year)
8. Ljubicic (1st top ten year)
9. Gaudio (2nd top ten year)

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:27 pm

Nalbi, Puerta and Gonzo are really close to the 1o0th end-of-year spot, but they might not play again. Puerta and Nalbi have pretty low 18th tourney scores, so conceibably they could play the Buenos Aires challenger and add enough points to surpass Safin for the 10th spot (for Nalbi a QF would do it). Would it be against the rules if they receive a WC for Buenos Aires??? Nalbi was 12th last week, will be 12th this week, but probably was 10th or 9th when the Buenos Aires entry list was released.

Postby smucav » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:44 pm

Anonymous wrote:Would it be against the rules if they receive a WC for Buenos Aires???
2005 ATP Official Rulebook:
6.08 PLAY-UP REGULATION (CHALLENGER SERIES TOURNAMENTS)
A. Restrictions
1) Players positioned 1-10 in the INDESIT ATP Entry Ranking (Singles) are prohibited from entering, accepting a wild card and/or competing in a Challenger Series Tournament. Players who would have been, had they and all other players entered, a Direct Acceptance on the original Acceptance List for a Grand Slam are prohibited from entering, accepting a wild card and/or competing in a Challenger Series Tournament in the first week of the Grand Slam Tournament.
2) Players positioned 11-50 in the INDESIT ATP Entry Ranking (Singles) twenty-one (21) days prior to the first Monday of the Challenger Series Tournament are prohibited from entering but may receive an ATP-approved wild card in order to compete in the Challenger Tournament. The Challenger Supervisor will make wild card determinations consistent with the limitations outlined below. Players positioned 11-50 are also prohibited from entering, accepting a wild card or competing in Challenger Series Tournaments that offer less than $50,000 in on-site prize money.
3) Challenger Series Tournaments scheduled the same week as an ATP Tournament may offer wild cards to players positioned 11-50 in the INDESIT ATP Entry Ranking (Singles) who have received approval from the ATP on-site Supervisor according to the following breakdown:
$125,000 in prize money up to (2) two wild cards
$100,000 in prize money up to (1) one wild card
$75,000 in prize money up to (1) one wild card
$50,000 in prize money up to (1) one wild card
$37,500 in prize money no wild card
$25,000 in prize money no wild card
4) Challenger Series Tournaments not scheduled in the same week as ATP Tournaments, or during the 2nd week of a Grand Slam, may offer wild cards to players positioned 11-50 in the INDESIT ATP Entry Ranking (Singles) who have received approval from the ATP on-site Supervisor according to the following breakdown:
$150,000 in prize money up to (4) four wild cards
$125,000 in prize money up to (4) four wild cards
$100,000 in prize money up to (3) three wild card
$75,000 in prize money up to (2) two wild card
$50,000 in prize money up to (1) one wild card
$37,500 in prize money no wild card
$25,000 in prize money no wild card
smucav
Forum Emperor
Forum Emperor

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:52 pm

Thank you!

So it's 21 days before the start of Buenos Aires (which is a 100K one) so it's the current ranking:
Nalbo and Gonzo could get WCs but Puerta cannot.

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:36 am

challengers don't contribute to race points

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:43 am

"Nalbi, Puerta and Gonzo are really close to the 1o0th end-of-year spot, but they might not play again. Puerta and Nalbi have pretty low 18th tourney scores, so conceibably they could play the Buenos Aires challenger and add enough points to surpass Safin for the 10th spot (for Nalbi a QF would do it). Would it be against the rules if they receive a WC for Buenos Aires??? Nalbi was 12th last week, will be 12th this week, but probably was 10th or 9th when the Buenos Aires entry list was released."

Anonymous wrote:challengers don't contribute to race points

Sure, but the last few posing refer to end-of-year entry, which is what goes in the books for personal stats. So Nalbi can still have a third personal top-10 finish with a SF in the Buenos Aires challenger if he gets a WC.

Postby smucav » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:58 pm

Gaudio--or Nalbandian or whoever ends up as the on-site alternate or gets in directly due to other withdrawals--still has a chance to earn additional entry/race points if he gets to play any matches in Shanghai.
smucav
Forum Emperor
Forum Emperor

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:38 pm

dou you reall think David is going to play a challenger?

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:47 pm

Anonymous wrote:dou you reall think David is going to play a challenger?

Probably not. Other players might do it (in particular in their own country) just to end the year top 10. But Nalbi is a less intense about tennis than many (better: more intense about racing and other non-tennis stuff). He might not even go to Shangai as an alternate (in which case Puerta goes).

Postby D » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:18 pm

Is there a withdrawal deadline for TMC like there is for all the other tourneys? If so, does anyone know when it is? I mean when will all these players who are potentially pulling out required to make the decision?

D
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby Elikian » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:24 am

I dunno, but the draws are already made on wednesday, whilst play does not start until sunday. Weird stuff, such a long time.
Elikian
Forum Emperor
Forum Emperor

Postby Björki » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:09 am

Björki
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby Elikian » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:07 am

:( :( Sad that Lleyton won't be there. Devaluates the event imho.

And another:
Roddick, meanwhile, is battling chronic back soreness.

"I'm not as optimistic as I was two days ago," Roddick said. "I'll go back [to the US], we'll treat it and if I feel like I can go, I'll go. If not, then I won't."
Elikian
Forum Emperor
Forum Emperor

Postby D » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:20 pm

Does anyone know what time Wednesday (today in China) the draw is supposed to be made? I can't find a fact sheet on the tourney or anything

thanks!
D
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby Kinetix » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:29 pm

Roddick OUT
Nalbandian IN

Three argentines in the Masters Cup! :D
And Puerta is ALT :)
Kinetix
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby zicofirol » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:41 pm

anyone know's how the groupd are made? is 1 and 2 put atop each group and then the rest are just drawed out?

I say this because it would be horrible to see a group: Nadal, Coria, gaudio and Davydenko.

Without a doubt that would be the worst group in the history of the year end championship. YOu could put karlovic or even bracialli in that group and they would probably be 1 or 2.

Im hoping to see agassi, federer , lubijic and nalbandian in semis. So 3 of those cant be in the same group. As long as 3 of them ar enot in the same group you can be sure they all 4 will be in semis, with davydenko having a slight chance to get in.

NO chance for coria, nadal or gaudio.
zicofirol
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby Judio » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:47 am

http://www.masters-cup.com/en/

SINGLES
Red Group: Roger Federer, Guillermo Coria, Ivan Ljubicic, David Nalbandian

Gold Group: Rafael Nadal, Andre Agassi, Nikolay Davydenko, Gaston Gaudio

DOUBLES
Red Group:Bryan/Bryan, Knowles/Nestor, Paes/Zimonjic, Arthurs/Hanley

Gold Group:Bjorkman/Mirnyi, Black/Ullyett, Llodra/Santoro, Huss/Moodie
Judio
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby zicofirol » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:23 am

that sucks. Lubijic, Nalbandian and Federer all in the same group. This means we will see nadal or davydenko in semis.
zicofirol
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby Patrik77 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:24 am

Nadal OUT
Puerta IN

:(

SHANGHAI, Nov 14 (Reuters) - World number two Rafael Nadal pulled out of the season-ending Masters Cup on Monday citing an injury to his left foot.
The French Open champion is due to address fans at Shanghai's Qi Zhong stadium later on day two of the $4.45 million event to explain his decision.
The Spaniard's withdrawal is a massive blow to organisers of the lucrative event who had already lost Andy Roddick, Lleyton Hewitt and Marat Safin from the line-up.
Australian Open champion Safin gave up his place in the eight-man field last month as he continued to struggle with a knee injury.
The Russian was joined on the sidelines by world number three Roddick who was suffering lower back spasms.
Twice-champion Hewitt pulled out due to personal reasons -- his wife, television actress Bec Cartwright, is expecting the couple's baby in Sydney within the next two weeks -- but he has also been recovering from a groin strain and toe surgery.
Of those who did answer the call to China, Roger Federer has only recently recovered from an ankle injury while Andre Agassi is troubled by an ankle sprain.
Nadal's place will be taken by Argentina's Mariano Puerta, this year's French Open runner-up.
The 19-year-old Nadal, who had been due to play Argentine Gaston Gaudio later on Monday, had sat out the final two weeks of the season because of knee tendinitis.
Pat
Patrik77
Forum Emperor
Forum Emperor

Postby Elikian » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:53 am

Impossible... :(

"THE BEST 8 PLAYERS IN THE WORLD" they keep on yelling. Only the numbers 2, 3 and 4 are missing...and Safin as well....
Elikian
Forum Emperor
Forum Emperor

Postby zicofirol » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:08 am

Theyre saying on tv, agassi is out, gonzalez is in.

Yes, they are confirming it...

Agassi OUT
Gonzalez IN, :HeadBang:

update: theyre saying he pulled out after the davydenko match, I think it is because of shoulder trouble.
okay got two outside confirmations just to make sure, lol:
http://deporte.canal13.cl/deportes/html ... 41884.html

ps. I just heard it 3 times hope im not wrong
zicofirol
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby Elikian » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:04 am

Elikian wrote:Impossible... :(

"THE BEST 8 PLAYERS IN THE WORLD" they keep on yelling. Only the numbers 2, 3 and 4 are missing...and Safin as well....

Make that 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 ...
Elikian
Forum Emperor
Forum Emperor

Next

Return to Archive 2004-2007