Scoring Flub

Results Forum Archives

Scoring Flub

Postby FulhamFan » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:13 pm

Anybody see the mistake in the williams vs sprem match?

I understand how the umpire could of made a mistake. After her serve was called out she played on through and the crowd clapped. The umpire could of temporarily zoned out and awarded a point.

What should of happened is that venus should of questioned or one of the linesman should of said something or the tournament referee should of said something. With a match on center court at least one of them should of said something.

I don't feel sorry for venus though. She had 3 set points and couldn't convert. To me it's almost the same as someone calling a ball out when it was clearly in. If it's systematic it's a problem, but one point very very rarely decides a match.
"Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them."- Albert Einstein
FulhamFan
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby UNTBOWLER » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:57 pm

I could not believe either of the ladies did not say anything, that was atrocious and I am sure this Umpire got tossed out on his bum.
Venus did choke though missing easy volleys and groundstrokes, when she had set points.
UNTBOWLER
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby Merlin » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:14 am

I have some sympathy with the players here. If they question something then they're criticised for not accepting the umpires decision, if they don't and there is an error they're criticised for not questioning the umpire........... :KooKoo:
Merlin

Postby UNTBOWLER » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:53 am

This was so obvious that it should have been pointed out immediately by someone, even if it is a ball kid.
The players though still should have said something. :KooKoo:
UNTBOWLER
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Return to Archives