Is it time to say goodbye to Andre?

Results Forum Archives

Is it time to say goodbye to Andre?

Postby dryeagle » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:00 pm

Andre has had some real bad results lately, today he was taken down by Andreev at Queens. I think the US Open will be his last tournament.

Andre is a guy who could have gone down as the best ever. Many wasted opportunities in his career, he could be the guy right now with the grand slam record. He had a lot of guys number - Becker, Edberg, Chang. Its a shame, he missed to many Australian and Wimbledons, and he could have done better against Sampras in those 3 US Open finals.
dryeagle
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby FulhamFan » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:26 pm

the thing that agassi has said several times is that if he had success early on he probably wouldn't of had that resurgence he had in 1999.
FulhamFan
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby daryl » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:44 pm

Agassi said that his plan is to reach Houston and retire, i hope he can do it... he needs a good result soon...
daryl
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby UNTBOWLER » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:29 pm

I like Agassi but it appears he has nothing left in the tank. To be honest I think once Sampras left the court so did Agassi's spirit. They had great battle and admired each other. After Pete took the 2002 US Open and stepped off the Court Agassi should have followed. :-({|=
UNTBOWLER
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby R. Jayakrishnan » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:19 pm

The day he went and played the Las vegas and Burbank challengers on a comeback trail and showed how he wanted to do it the right way, I became his fan and he became a great player in my mind. Winning all four slams only added to that. He is among the tennis greats, and I don't think I need to count grand slam titles for that.

.. Would be fun to see him have a final hurrah though.

Jay
R. Jayakrishnan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Postby dryeagle » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:58 pm

I doubt he will make it to Houston, I can't see him having the ranking to make it there. He will have to do real well at Wimbledon and the US Open because he doesn't play many tournaments outside of big ones anymore. After Wimbledon (which I can't see him making the 2nd week of) he'll probably play one of the American Master Series tournaments and probably Washington DC, then he'll probably skip the European indoor season in the fall. He may have one last run left in him ala Sampras in 2002 at the US Open, which will be his last tournament, unless he wins it and qualifies for Houston.
dryeagle
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby dryeagle » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:27 pm

Nice effort by Andre today against Melzer, going down 3 and 3.

I'll be the first to say I'm not an Agassi fan, but he is really losing it now. A bad showing at the US Open will certainly force him into retirement.
dryeagle
Forum Master
Forum Master

Return to Archives