Super Saturday has got to go

Results Forum Archives

Super Saturday has got to go

Postby FulhamFan » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:41 am

The past five finals at the US Open have sucked.

2000 Safin vs Sampras 6-4 6-3 6-3
2001 Hewitt vs Sampras 7-6 6-1 6-1
2002 Sampras vs Agassi 6-3 6-4 5-7 6-4
2003 Roddick vs Ferrero 6-3 7-6 6-3
2004 Federer vs Hewitt 6-0 7-6 6-0

Despite the score the sampras vs agassi match was a total geezer fest with agassi letting shots go which he ran down against hewitt the previous day. I know for the years sampras reached the final he definetly needed a day rest.

Even this year with both finalist winning the semis in straight sets. They at least need the extra day to plan or talk with they're coach about strategy.

Also that award ceremony was terrible. I keep thinking they would get a bit more organized than the previous year. The check had a speech by the sponsor while awarding the trophy was dick enberg saying "Here it is". I know we don't watch for award ceremonies. But if your going to do it, at least do it right.
"Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them."- Albert Einstein
FulhamFan
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby daryl » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:08 am

I totally agree with you. And they highlighted that hewitt earned $ 250.000 more for winning the US Open Series... for that kind of players 250.000 is nothing compared to winning the final, they are already millonaries. The problem is that most of the USA people think that is all about money and there are more important things in life.

Sorry for my english. Alejandro.
daryl
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby dryeagle » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:21 am

The Super Saturday arguement has been going on for over 20 years now and there seems to be no chance that it will be adjusted. I'd rather watch the SF's on Saturday, since I will be at work on Friday and won't be able to see the matches (like the French and Wimbledon). Frankly, I don't think it affects the outcome of the Sunday final anyway.

I would like to see the final moved to Sunday night or Monday night at about 7, where there is a window between NFL games.
dryeagle
Forum Master
Forum Master

Super Saturday

Postby IanF » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:04 am

From a European point of view at least the Men's final was played at a reasonable time for us to be able to watch the match and still get up with the alarm in the morning. The Women's final is impossible and only for the genuine fan. As to it having an effect on the outcome of the men's final, this year there was only going to be one winner from the first point onwards and that had nothing to do with how much rest the players had.

Totally agree with your comments regarding the ceremony, very poor all round. However I have to say I was extremely impressed with Hewett's sportsmanship and generosity, especially when we were able to just about hear his words to Federer after match point.
Ian F
IanF
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Return to Archives