Men vs. Women: Who could learn what?

Results Forum Archives

Men vs. Women: Who could learn what?

Postby kennycalhoo » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:53 am

Just a random thought while I was watching Capriati-Williams from last night.....
What might the Men's tour learn from the WOmen's tour, if anything, that would improve the marketing of the game. Vice Versa? Just something to think about?
kennycalhoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby FulhamFan » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:24 pm

I don't know if there's anything the wta is doing better than the atp. Not that there isn't anything better the atp can do. Most casual fans can't name the top 3. Only american tournament I've seen outside of the US Open was Indianapolis. They should at least show the semi-finals of cincinnati.
"Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them."- Albert Einstein
FulhamFan
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby Lord Lannister » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:51 am

huh? they've showed all the Masters series semi's and earlier rounds on ESPN this year which actually didn't do that bad of a job.

If its Serena-Capriati a lot of people are going to watch, even people who don't like women's tennis. I will admit that I got sucked into watching that 3rd set even though I hate WTA tennis and Capriati in particular.
Lord Lannister
Cool Newbie
Cool Newbie

Postby dryeagle » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:13 am

FulhamFan wrote:Only american tournament I've seen outside of the US Open was Indianapolis. They should at least show the semi-finals of cincinnati.

:?
dryeagle
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby FulhamFan » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:55 am

I should of been clear and say on network television, not cable. Indianapolis finals was on network tv, not espn. More should be done to promote the game on the networks.
FulhamFan
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby skipper » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:15 pm

well i thought that the women's final was a waste of good network airtime not to mention a million bucks! i've seen college matches that were better - including women. since when is it a marvel that the girl hit 70-80 mph ? top women college serve 90-100 mph. but i guess ms. carillo commentator had to find something to talk to justify this million dollar match. martina looked bored and even mac was uncharacteristically quiet. was he told to shut up for political reasons??? this match should have been on early in the day & the men's final should be at primetime 8 pm, not 4 pm!! not everyone watches espn or the tennis channel....but all have the major networks on their tv.
"Better to have tried and failed than to never have tried at all", but of course, winning is preferable.
skipper
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby FulhamFan » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:40 pm

primetime saturday is usually dead air. They weren't exactly taking a risk. As long as they do Super Saturday they probably should do mens primetime final so they get as much rest as possible.
FulhamFan
Forum Master
Forum Master

Re: Men vs. Women: Who could learn what?

Postby Mystery Man » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:17 am

kennycalhoo wrote:Just a random thought while I was watching Capriati-Williams from last night.....
What might the Men's tour learn from the WOmen's tour, if anything, that would improve the marketing of the game. Vice Versa? Just something to think about?

Whatever you may think about the quality of women's tennis as opposed men's tennis, there is one respect in which the women's professional game is arguably superior to the men's. On the whole, all the top women are well turned out, both in terms of physical appearance and dress. You can't say the same for the men; a lot of the men are scruffy, not to say ugly. Many of them have long hair -- very old-fashioned these days -- which, as soon as they start running about, gets lank and sweaty. The hair has to be controlled by something, usually by a pigtail, or an old handkerchief, or a sweat band, or a baseball cap put on the wrong way round. This really does look great. The effect is completed by the designer stubble or the five o'clock shadow. When you think about it, it must take as much time to appear permanently with a five o'clock shadow as shaving regularly. I presume they must shave before they go to bed. Then of course there are the fashionable long sagging shorts, accompanied by brightly coloured tennis shoes. So perhaps, if you are trying to find a way as improving the marketing of men's tennis, you might start by making improvements in how the players look.

I know I am old-fashioned, but, seriously though, a lot of the men are hardly an advertisement for the male sex. But at least they do play good tennis.
Mystery Man
Mystery Man
Cool Newbie
Cool Newbie

Postby skipper » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:16 pm

- if some of the outlandish garb the william sisters get away with or some of the exceptionally short tight outfits some others wear isn't a problem, then who should care about the long men's shirts/shorts - which are more comfortable & hold ball in pocket better. as for the grunge or preppy look - both are 'the style' - tennis grunge is particularly chic in europe and i think americans just want to look european.
"Better to have tried and failed than to never have tried at all", but of course, winning is preferable.
skipper
Forum Master
Forum Master

Return to Archives