Farewell, Alex

Results Forum Archives

Farewell, Alex

Postby BoughtMyPoints » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:19 am

It was a sad, sad evening last night at the U S Open.

Though having announced nothing, this was surely Alex's final U.S. appearance. His game simply imploded against an average player, Sargsian. All Sarge had to do was move Alex around the court. Alex's footwork just isn't there anymore and he overcompensates by going for shots that he rarely makes any longer.

However, it was an extraordinary turn-out. I don't think I have ever seen more coaches at a match ... I recognized Larry Passos and Jordi Arrese among half a dozen more; they stayed to the bitter end to honor Alex. Marta was crying as the match ended.

Alex had a penalty point imposed for cracking a racquet which he then tossed gently into the bleachers, captured by a Chilean boy who was flattered by my $100 offer for the Babolat stick.

I was about to get involved in some serious physical mayhem with some louts cheering loudly every unforced error from Corretja when Spanish Davis Cup captain Arrese said something to the pigs and they kept quiet for the final set and a half.
BoughtMyPoints
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby Kasia » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:54 am

As for the coaches, there are always a lot of them when Spaniards play :P Believe me, I know hehehehe. And as for Alex, unfortunately I couldn't see the match, but in Poland he didn't play better :( He's a lot slower, his shots are not in anymore, it seems like it's really going down :( However, I would love to see him playing for some more time, maybe he should concentrate on playing doubles... ?
Kasia
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby BoughtMyPoints » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:23 am

Kasia wrote:As for the coaches, there are always a lot of them when Spaniards play :P Believe me, I know hehehehe. And as for Alex, unfortunately I couldn't see the match, but in Poland he didn't play better :( He's a lot slower, his shots are not in anymore, it seems like it's really going down :( However, I would love to see him playing for some more time, maybe he should concentrate on playing doubles... ?

His serve has also lost a lot and others' have vastly improved; even doubles may not offer much for Alex. And remember : his signature backhand is that big looping topspin of his, a suicide shot in doubles. His flat backhand for a winner has been MIA lately.

Thanks for the memories, Alex and the wonderful sportsmanship, a greeting for every fan.
BoughtMyPoints
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Return to Archives