Richard Gasquet

Results Forum Archives

Richard Gasquet

Postby zikmat » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:27 am

Does anyone know why Richard Gasquet retired from the 1st round at the Bronx Challenger ?
Will he be able to play the US OPEN ?

Once again a Frenchman injured... :(
Bon Tennis !
zikmat
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby Steve G » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:33 am

Drawsheet says something interesting...
The scoreline reads "63 36 30(Failed to Complete)"
:?

Haven't seen that one before. Maybe he didn't come back from a rain delay? He is not listed in the retirements section. I will try to get an explanation.
--
Your Friendly Forum Administrator
Steve G
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby R. Jayakrishnan » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:07 am

I too was wondering about that one. First time I had seen that. he probably did not come back after the rain delay and they couldn't find him. Fell asleep somewhere or what? :)

Jay
R. Jayakrishnan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Postby tennis5201 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:33 pm

I was at the match. During the third set, Richard broke two racquets during one game. After he broke the second racquet, he stopped playing.

- Maybe he already got a warning before he broke the first racquet, and after he broke the 2 he got to the maximum amount of penalties and was forced to stop play.
- Or he decided to leave the match according to his own decision.
tennis5201

Postby zikmat » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:59 am

It sounds pretty bad for Richard ! He is loosing his nerves as well as his tennis ... :roll:
hmmm...
Any official declaration about this event ?

More over, it happens just a few days after the Victoy of Rafael Nadal in Sopot...The comparison is hard to make... I hope he is not wasting his talent...
Let's hope he does well at the US OPEN. :GoodLuck:
Bon Tennis !
zikmat
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby tennis5201 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:23 am

yea i don't think he was very happy at that match but he seemed fine when he went back to practice on tuesday and wednesday. he's been practicing at the site a lot during those days day with different players, i guess he's preparing for the open.
tennis5201

Postby dryeagle » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:54 am

It sounds to me like Gasquet is another pampered, spoiled, tennis brat.
dryeagle
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby FulhamFan » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:32 pm

so was agassi.
"Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them."- Albert Einstein
FulhamFan
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby Rob & Stephen » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:12 am

I would not say that Gasquet is pampered like the Americans Bogomolov, Young and some others are, but he is struggling to fulfill his potential. Give him time - God i sound like Berti Vogts, manager of the Scottish football team - i think that he will come good in the end.
We absolutely love BEAR HUGS!!!!
Rob & Stephen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Gasquet

Postby zikmat » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:33 am

Where do I sign for a Career as Agassi (for Gasquet) ???
:D
Bon Tennis !
zikmat
Forum Master
Forum Master

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:13 am

Tell me why Richard abandoned in the qualies of US Open after winning the first set??!

The rumour says he threw his racquet after missing some easy shots and the racquet hit a line man and then was disqualified, is it true??

This boy needs some tough coach, everything seems to be in his tennis in terms of strokes and potential but he can´t seem to do one thing right at the moment behaving like a true brat.

What a career this seems to develop into!
Marcus
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby Kensrue » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:26 am

If he was disqualified, there should be letters dft or something like that indicating default. Not rtd as retired. I hope somebody knows what happened.
Kensrue

Postby zikmat » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:49 am

Well, last week at the Bronx challenger, Gasquet said that he was pissed (throwing rackets ...) and decided to stop playing and retire from his match. :HitWall:
He has said, few days later (and before US Qualies) that he was not proud of his behavior and that it was the first time he did this. He was saying that it was not going to happen again!
Looks like he was wrong :roll:

I Suspect he did the same thing as at the Bronx Challenger ?
Can someone confirm this ?

He really need coaching... Even Safin managed to calm his nerves and achieve really great things...Let's hope he can do the same.

He seems to be fustrated as after a couple of years on the ATP PRO level, things are not as easy as they were for him on the Junior Tour...
Bon Tennis !
zikmat
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby seb » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:13 am

Richard behaves like what he is: a teenager favourite of his Federation (which provided him with a grant of 40,000€ and some coaches). :-$

He is following the JR Lisnard way - the worst unsportsman guy I know in tennis.

I hope I am wrong but I fear I am not...

The article of the FFT reports that the French newspaper l'Equipe reports his defaulting.
seb
Forum Emperor
Forum Emperor

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:39 am

Maybe it´s good for French tennís this story because Gasquet was probably the most talented kid ever in the juniors and then he had all this problems with his overprotective father and the federation wanted to help him get a real coach and all that collapsed with his dad taking command.

Now all the other French juniors are kind of progressing discretely behind the "enfant terrible" and with this scandal I am sure there will be BIG changes to the Gasquet attitude in the next year or so. Furthermore there won´t be the same attention to the other kids so maybe someone with a good attitude might rise.

French tennis looks real interesting behind Richard with all the talented newcomers like Ouanna, Monfils, Chardy, Piro, Inzerillo, Botti, Touil, Slilam, Obama, Sidorenko etc. I wonder if any other country has the same material as France at this moment but then the French seem to always have the attitude problem that stops their pro careers from fulfilling their potential.
Marcus
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby Lord Lannister » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:13 am

It really sounds just as simple as that he is not happy with his life in other ways and all the frustration is bubbling over.

As for big changes, well, I can tell you sometimes families react in ways that don't seem logical and his father could actually become more (!) overprotective!

He unfortunately seems to be starting to develop a worse reputation than MARCELO RIOS, who actually looking back never did anything quite as bad on court!
Lord Lannister
Cool Newbie
Cool Newbie

Postby FulhamFan » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:49 am

Safin and Goran Ivanesevic constantly throught rackets and they were great players. However this is probably an exception to the rule. Gasquet is an exceptional player so who knows.
FulhamFan
Forum Master
Forum Master

Re: Marcus

Postby dryeagle » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:52 pm

Marcus wrote:
The rumour says he threw his racquet after missing some easy shots and the racquet hit a line man and then was disqualified, is it true??

After the match, I heard he threw a fit in the locker room, kicked over a bunch of trash cans and broke some mirrors in the bathroom. Cops were called in and he was nearly arrested until some influential people stepped in and said restitution will be paid.
dryeagle
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby FulhamFan » Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:20 pm

After the match, I heard he threw a fit in the locker room, kicked over a bunch of trash cans and broke some mirrors in the bathroom. Cops were called in and he was nearly arrested until some influential people stepped in and said restitution will be paid.

Where do you guys get this information?
FulhamFan
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby dryeagle » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:25 pm

NYPD
dryeagle
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby Luke Cage » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:38 am

Well, another frenchman seems to have been defaulted in this week's France Futures tournament. :KooKoo: Does anyone know why.
Olivier van de Wiele (FRA) d. (WC)Paterne Mamata (FRA) 6-7(4) 0-1 def.
Luke Cage
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Return to Archives