Results Forum Archives

Bronx website is Pathetic

Postby Andrew_Derer » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:53 am

ugh i cant find any results :roll: :roll:
Andrew_Derer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby R. Jayakrishnan » Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:10 pm

Here they are, as you are dying to find out. SteveG would be back and update them soon, I am sure.

Qualifying Round 1:

(1)Bjorn Rehnquist (SWE) bye
(WC)Parsa Samii (USA) d. Jean-Julien Rojer (AHO) W/O
Jay Gooding (AUS) d. (WC)Ronald McKenzie (USA) 60 61
(6)Chris Guccione (AUS) bye
(2)Eric Taino (USA) bye
(WC)Jonathan Chu (USA) d. Travis Rettenmaier (USA) 62 64
Juan Ignacio Cerda (CHI) d. Brodie Stewart (AUS) 36 61 64
(5)Lovro Zovko (CRO) bye
(3)Jean-Christophe Faurel (FRA) bye
Jaymon Crabb (AUS) bye
(WC)Dante Santa Cruz (PHI) bye
(7)Ti Chen (TPE) bye
(4)Marcus Sarstrand (SWE) bye
Robert Yim (USA) d. Ogidi Obi (USA) 75 64
Richard Magney (AUS) vs (WC)Alex Stone (USA)
(8)Paul Baccanello (AUS) bye

Qualifying Round 2:

(1)Bjorn Rehnquist (SWE) d. (WC)Parsa Samii (USA) 60 60
(6)Chris Guccione (AUS) d. Jay Gooding (AUS) 6 164
(2)Eric Taino (USA) d. (WC)Jonathan Chu (USA) 61 36 63
(5)Lovro Zovko (CRO) d. Juan Ignacio Cerda (CHI) 75 62
(3)Jean-Christophe Faurel (FRA) d. Jaymon Crabb (AUS) 64 61
(7)Ti Chen (TPE) d. (WC)Dante Santa Cruz (PHI) 76(3) 61
(4)Marcus Sarstrand (SWE) d. Robert Yim (USA) 63 62
(8)Paul Baccanello (AUS) d. Richard Magney (AUS) 61 64

Final Qualifying is on Sunday ....

Jay
R. Jayakrishnan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Postby R. Jayakrishnan » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:45 pm

This is the wrong place for results, but because it was asked here ....

The final round (sunday)

(1)Bjorn Rehnquist (SWE) d. (6)Chris Guccione (AUS) 76(1) 63
(2)Eric Taino (USA) d. (5)Lovro Zovko (CRO) 76(5) 64
(3)Jean-Christophe Faurel (FRA) d. (7)Ti Chen (TPE) 63 62
(4)Marcus Sarstrand (SWE) d. (8)Paul Baccanello (AUS) 36 63 62

So this one went completely according to the book, with the top four seeds making it into the main draw!

Jay
R. Jayakrishnan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

bronx results

Postby tennis5201 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:41 am

hey i wanted to know where you find the results for Bronx because I think you posted them here before they were on stevegtennis.com? If you did, can you tell me where you got them from and if i could get the order of play there? or do you know the order of play?
tennis5201

Postby Andrew_Derer » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:24 am

Thanks Jay :D

Jaymon Crabb Paul Baccanello and Chris Guccione wtf was that u bunch of losers :KooKoo: :KooKoo:
Andrew_Derer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby BoughtMyPoints » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:33 pm

Hey I went out to the Bronx tournament on semi final day.

What a strange tournament! Somehow the USTA thinks it is doing the right thing by putting on this tournament in this location. Yes, I took the subway out there ... zero signs directing potential spectators to the courts from the subway stop. Due to lack of results and order of play posted, I found only 1 of 2 friends still left on Saturday and Janko lost just before I arrived. With a thunderstorm looming, I hopped on the 2 hourly (!) players' shuttle back to midtown, five minutes after arriving!
BoughtMyPoints
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby R. Jayakrishnan » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:33 am

It is shameful that USTA allows this tournament to happen year after year at the crazy place, for just a paltry $50K, forcing a lot of top players to show up and play there for lack of any other options. This tournament has the cut of a $100K challenger very often and they get away with this crap.

Why can't they do a nice $75K challenger at the Forest Hills or somehwre instead of Bronx? -- Forest Hills got back on the tour this year after a couple of decades with a grass a nd clay challengers earlier. Do a hardcourt events also there and get this challenger out of Bronx. It is really very unfair, what ATP and USTA does to the players who are a captive market because they need to be in NY for the USO and USO qualies and they have no other place to play.

Jay
R. Jayakrishnan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Postby Rob & Stephen » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:50 am

But isn't the Bronx Challenger sited there at the request of its major sponsor? I don't know if the USTA would move it even if this wasn.t the case. :HitWall: Afterall, the USTA is even more slow moving than the ATP and thats saying something. If you've noticed recently that there are fewer and fewer American players coming up through the USTA system alone, most now heading towards privately run academies, i.e Bolliteri, Evert etc, or throught the US Collegiate system.
The USTA could be in serious trouble in a few years time if it does not watch out!!!
Rob
We absolutely love BEAR HUGS!!!!
Rob & Stephen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby R. Jayakrishnan » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:58 am

May be the sponsor is involved, but it can't be that tough to find a sponsor for a challenger in the biggest city of the country that holds some 20 odd challengers a year. ATP has the final say on the dates of the event etc. They have had two other challengers already in NY this year. Nah, this seems to be nothing but a scandal of some sort, how this challenger gets put on at Bronx in a prime week with no alternatives.

Jay
R. Jayakrishnan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Postby skipper » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:57 am

i thought the usta held this one in the bronx in an effort to bring 'tennis to the people' --specifically to minority faction? didn't the blakes headline this tournament in the recent past en route to us open? the bronx has always been a dire place, esp. south bronx - i'm assuming this is not where the tennis was held!
"Better to have tried and failed than to never have tried at all", but of course, winning is preferable.
skipper
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby R. Jayakrishnan » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:12 pm

Do it in some other week. Not two weeks before US Open, making all the top 250 players go there and play qualies for not even any money.

Flip one of the two challengers Forest Hills conducetd with Bronx.

It is not like Bronx is the only dire place in the US. Bring it to Compton or East LA or Inner-city Detroit or anywhere.

Time USTA listened to the players' concerns also - rather than all the feelgood newspaper stories on their effort to "take it to the people". Why not conduct some 5 different futures in the innercities with the same $50K, if that is the intention?

In any case, you don't do these things in an international event. They can place the domestic circuit events anywhere (whch they don't by the way -- that they take to places like Kalamazoo, MI, Ojai, CA, and all kinds of nice country clubs) .. Then they do this with an ATP challenger!

There are dire places around the world, and none of those countries' federations do this kind of stuff to international players, and make use of them to "spread tennis to the people", even if they had a cpative market of players like USTA gets due to the US Open .. The Frech, Australian or UK federation doesn't do this crap. USTA shouldn't, either. It is totally in bad taste.

Jay
R. Jayakrishnan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Postby skipper » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:03 pm

hey--i'm not saying the bronx or any inner city is a good idea, just saying what pr rubbish i read....i agree that if they want to encourage minority players or general public interest there are better ways to do that than dragging challenger players into parts of cities that are questionable to say the least. its no wonder there were no spectators and players got out as fast as possible. the bronx sucks. but who knows what lurks in the minds of the usta, assuming they have minds to lurk.
"Better to have tried and failed than to never have tried at all", but of course, winning is preferable.
skipper
Forum Master
Forum Master

Return to Archives