The US should not have 3 TMS Events, for this reason...

Results Forum Archives

The US should not have 3 TMS Events, for this reason...

Postby tommy_mcgee » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:48 pm

why shouldnt the US have 3 TMS events?
a) 3 is too much
b) the game is already developed in the US, they don't need any more events to develop tennis over there
c) the tms events should be stretched across the world for promotion of the game. example, Argentina, Japan, Australia, England, Africa maybe,
d) with Argentina's recent successes in roland garros, and its influx of its own pros in the top 50, why not put a TMS event in Argentina. The idea of such a move is a GOLDMINE!!!
e) do you actually think tms cincy should is making as much money as tms paris, no! send tms cincy to tms buenos aries.

and there you have my 2 cents....
if anyone disagrees with me, I'd like to hear from you

- Tommy McGee
tommy_mcgee
Cool Newbie
Cool Newbie

Postby dryeagle » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:28 pm

Its about $$. If a TMS event would be more profitable in Argentina, then it would be there. I think the event in Cincy does pretty well, its been there for a long time now, it seems to draw a very good crowd and ESPN broadcasts from there on a daily basis. Indian Wells and Miami also do real well. So why would you penalize the people of the US because a few want global expansion of tennis tournaments?

I'm from Philadelphia, I know too well. As soon as the tournament here had a drop in attendance, the ATP pulled the plug. Its all right though, I just go to the US Open every year.
dryeagle
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby FulhamFan » Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:46 pm

I say they should move the ausopen a month later and have a masters series in asia/australia before the tournament.

Cincinatti would still be there, it just wouldn't have masters series status. Queens Club has a large draw and isn't a masters.

Which brings me to another point. Wimbledon should be later and Queens should be a masters. We need a masters series on grass.
"Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them."- Albert Einstein
FulhamFan
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby Aphextriplet » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:30 am

They should cancel the week Madrid is in and move that tournament to Asia before the AusO. Also they should cancel another one or two weeks after the USO making the season shorter by two or three weeks, maybe reschedule DC? Moreover they should do something about the clay season, perhaps move MC so more people would play there. Prolonging the grass season is also a good idea, I agree there should be a TMS on grass preferably Queens which already has the facilities it seems.
I don't think there's enough money for a TMS in Argentina or South America at the moment, I gather they've been in a serious recess lately.
What do you think about shifting the TMC between the continents on a perhaps bi- or triannual basis? I think it's a pretty good idea.
Aphextriplet

Postby FulhamFan » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:46 am

I think the only tournament that should be shifting is the masters cup. Although what they do with the canadian masters isn't a bad idea.
"Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them."- Albert Einstein
FulhamFan
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby Santorofan » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:59 pm

Regarding Argentina, there economy's been in a slump for the last several years. Ticket sales would certainly be affected, perhaps other things as well. The infrastucture for such a big event is also sorely lacking there. Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see it happen, but it's questionable regarding the detail$ and logistics.

On a related note, Sao Paulo Brazil was supposed to host the year end Masters a few years back but canceled for reasons officially unknown. But having visited four times, I can attest how difficult things can be logistically-speaking down there, trying to put on an event, etc. There's tons of corruption as well as a general flakiness with things in general. I love Brazil and Argentina, but IMO those might be a few telling factors of why no Masters event exist in Latin America...
Santorofan

Return to Archives