why isnt Stella Artois Championships dubbed a TMS event?

Results Forum Archives

why isnt Stella Artois Championships dubbed a TMS event?

Postby tommy_mcgee » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:34 pm

I just want to know why and how an event like Stella Artois Championships isnt included in the TMS line-up.
It happens to be the 2nd biggest grass court event in the world, the event attracts many top-notch players annually, like Roddick, Federer, Agassi, and the like. The events also boasts hall-of-famers champs like Edberg, Sampras, Agassi, Becker, and more!!!.
The draw holds 64 players, plus the qualies, and 32 for doubles.
Which leaves me to the question why isnt Stella Artois a TMS event?
is it a tradition thing for british tournies? is there strict rules for TMS events? what? what is it?
tommy_mcgee
Cool Newbie
Cool Newbie

Postby FulhamFan » Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:49 pm

I'm also wondering if masters series tournaments are fixed at 9. Why can't they have another one? One problem is that there is another tournament on at the same time and would have to be moved. Otherwise i don't see that much of a problem.
"Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them."- Albert Einstein
FulhamFan
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby Fee » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:42 pm

Well, I think the Hamburg TMS should be dropped, the alleged 'clay court season' should be shortened, Roland Garros should be moved up a week, Wimbledon should be moved back a week and a grass TMS should be added. Among people who feel the same way, however, the consensus seems to be that Halle should be the TMS and London should remain an optional tournament. I don't know why people feel this way - perhaps the facilities have something to do with it, or the money behind the tournament. Either way, I wish the ATP, WTA, and the ITF could get together on this. The calendar is a mess. Tennis was invented on grass and I think there should be a heck of a lot more of it.
Fee
Forum King
Forum King

Return to Archives