All American Shootout.???at the Mercedes Cup in LA.

Results Forum Archives

All American Shootout.???at the Mercedes Cup in LA.

Postby CrazyDiamond » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:14 pm

Anyone know what that is.

I see at the Mercedes Cup in LA the website shows a couple of players in an "All American Shootout".

Perhaps it the Qualifying Tournament.
"Shine On You Crazy Diamond"
CrazyDiamond
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby Fee » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:10 pm

It was a competition for a wildcard between Kendrick, Taino, Vahaly, Young and others that I can't remember. I don't know the results exactly, but I did speak to Kendrick and he won a match and lost a match or something like that, so he has to play qualies on Saturday. I'll try to get more info about it if I can.
Fee
Forum King
Forum King

Postby R. Jayakrishnan » Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:59 am

Well, all four of them seem to be in the qualifying draw though .. So, somebody else got a wildcard I guess.

Jay
R. Jayakrishnan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Postby Fee » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:19 am

Some of the other players were Glenn Weiner, Cecil Mamiit, Philip Simmonds. Lester Cook won the whole thing, so he got the wildcard, and the others have to play qualies today. It was all the American players in some type of shootout matches, I don't think they played actual sets. The draw is on the tournament website, buried in the draw pages, then the quali draw pages, very hard to find, and it doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, I'm off to the qualies in about 15 minutes. CD, I'll try to get a picture of Glenn for you and email it to you by the end of the week if you like... I"m very curious to see him play, and Donald Hype Young too
Fee
Forum King
Forum King

Postby R. Jayakrishnan » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:46 am

Lester Cook? ... Lester COOK? ... LESTER COOK ??? ..

Somebody will have to tell me what has suddenly gotten into him. I remember him from the juniors about three years back, but his junior performance was nothing outstanding (just about junior top-75 which is rarely top-500 later in the pros). He was having trouble picking up any wins in the futures till late last year. Apparently he did not play at all for 7-8 months. What has he been doing - eating spinach all this while and getting ready to play at LA?

.. Curious ..

Jay
R. Jayakrishnan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Postby CrazyDiamond » Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:20 am

Fiona

You're a star,that would be excellent,and much appreciated.
CrazyDiamond
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby CrazyDiamond » Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:44 pm

Fiona.......if you've got the 1st Round Qualies Results,it would be great if you can post them......thanks
CrazyDiamond
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby UNTBOWLER » Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:43 pm

Lester Cook is playing for Texas A&M so he is getting good preparation just from practice. He seems promising.
UNTBOWLER
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby R. Jayakrishnan » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:22 pm

Ah that explains it. I hadn't noticed that Lester Cook was at Texas A&M. He is ranked #8 in college and pretty much got high up in the ranks in his second year itself (just finished his sophomore year in college). I think that is a better performance than I would have expected of him based on his earlier junior results -- he must have actually improved a bit during his college time. But even for a top-10 college player, his show this weekend at LA wildcard event against those top-175 players players is quite an impressive thing (he beat Taino and Weiner, if I understand the draw correctly) ..

Jay
R. Jayakrishnan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Postby Fee » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:50 pm

Yo everyone. I am absolutely wiped out. But its a happy exhaustion because I love being at a tournament. I watched a lot of tennis today, Zack Fleishman's 3 setter, then Kendrick's 3 setter, then a bit of Glenn with Donald Young on the court next to him, then Kendrick's 2nd match, then the end of Zack's 2nd match. They will play each other tomorrow, which will be a bit tough for me since they are both among my favorite tennis guys, but since I do Kendrick's homepage I have to cheer for him.

One thing I learned today is how much I don't know about tennis. I don't know how to describe anyone's game in an intelligent manner or give you any insight about the matches I saw today. I watched Donald Young and all I could see was this skinny kid swimming in clothes that seemed three sizes too large. He seemed to hit the ball like countless other kids in high school or junior tournaments. I was sitting with Tommy Haas for a few minutes while Glenn and Donald were playing next to each other and he commented that Young has 'good hands' and made some comment to Red (sitting on the other side) about Marcelo Rios. I'm not sure if he was talking about Young, but he seemed to be looking in that direction.

Wish I could be of more help. I take it you have the results for the day. And CD, sorry I ran out of film. Glenn was on court when I left and seemed to be doing okay. I'll get a picture of him tomorrow for sure, even if it means taking my eyes off Kendrick-Fleishman for a few minutes. :)
Fee
Forum King
Forum King

Postby CrazyDiamond » Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:37 pm

Fiona

You're a champ. :lol:

Cmon.......you're not telling me that Zack and Robert are better looking than Glenn,are you.? ;)....plus with Glenn you get the added bonus of hanging out with Tommy.
Glenn and Tommy are best friends,chances are they'll get one of the Doubles Wild Cards.

Enjoy Sunday at the Qualies,and please get me some pics.

Thanks again.
CrazyDiamond
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby CrazyDiamond » Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:07 pm

Fiona.......results please. 8-[ 8-[ 8-[

Is he in or is he out.?
CrazyDiamond
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

lester cook

Postby turdferguson » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:17 pm

lest is a going to be a senior at texas a and m if he goes back. i saw the shootout. he got really lucky for the shootout. the first 5 guys were chosen on rankings (kendrich, vahaly, mamit, taino and weiner), 2 guys were chosen by the committee (young and simmons) and the last one was chosen out of a hat, lester. they divided into 2 groups of 4 and played super tie breakers. the format was double elimination and lester went undefeated in his group and then played taino in the finals and beat him. good for him and good luck in the main draw.
turdferguson

Postby Fee » Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:27 pm

CD, he's in (as I'm sure you know because I don't get home and back to my computer until after 9 pm) and I spoke to him for a few minutes after his match. He seemed to have an ice bag on every part of his body. He plays on Monday and I told him I would try to make his match and get some more pictures (with a 'main draw' background). I promised to be at least one voice in the crowd cheering him on.

I kidded with Tommy about taking him home with me, asked him if he wanted to come willingly or with force. I think it took him a minute to understand that I was not serious. He did like the photos I took of him in Indian Wells and he even signed the one that he said looked like it 'was taken by a professional.' But I think I have to cheer for Robby in that match.

Scariest thing I saw today... Kendrick snap a Babolat over his knee like it was a dry twig at the end of his match. Okay, I understand doing it to one, but then he walked to his chair, picked up another one and did it again. No, I haven't spoken to him since....
Fee
Forum King
Forum King

Postby CrazyDiamond » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:07 am

Fiona

Im laughing big time :D ....you got to see the "real" life of a Pro player..............not as glamorous as it appears on the TV. ;)

Im jealous,it seems you're having some real good fun.

So he's got ice packs all over the place,that's sounds scary....I guess it's the effects of so many matches day after day for the last two months.
I hope he's not carrying any serious injuries.......hopefully he lasts through the next couple of Tourneys and the US Open......then he can sleep for a week or two. :lol:

Thanks for taking pics,I cant wait to see them.....can you believe in 7 years I've never seen Glenn play on the TV,and basically never found any pics of him on the internet......except one at the RCA Championships a couple of years back.....the ATP website does'nt even have his pic in his Profile...that sucks.

Speak to you later...thanks again.....enjoy the 1st Round.....scream loud. :lol:
CrazyDiamond
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby CrazyDiamond » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:00 pm

Go Glenn. :D :D :D
CrazyDiamond
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby chamacoo » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:33 pm

go glenn 8) 8) , lee is a natural.
c'mon potito
chamacoo
Cool Newbie
Cool Newbie

Postby CrazyDiamond » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:42 pm

Thanks Doc.

And he's a good natural.........I guess home town advantage played a big part in this win. :lol:
CrazyDiamond
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Manchester

Postby BGB » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:29 am

Hi folks.

First post, so must start by saying a big 'fairplay' to Steve for the site. I popped in to the Manchester Challenger after work last night; it was great to get clued up on the players beforehand.

Unfortunately I only got there in time for the last match - Bogdanovic vs Dell'Acqua. I wondered if the resident Italian expert could tell me if Massimo is always that furious? He played OK at the start, but didn't take long to get wound up, which seemed to detract from his play, and it went down the pan from there. Poor chap!

Anyone else you can recommend me to check out at this tournament. I saw Mahut win last year, quite surprised he hasn't made more of an impact since.

BGB
BGB

Return to Archives