Professional tennis as a career

Results Forum Archives

Professional tennis as a career

Postby Mystery Man » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:10 am

I follow professional tennis on television, on the Internet and in the press. But I know very little about the everyday life of professional tennis players. I would be grateful if someone in the know could answer some of the following questions.

Above what ranking, approximately, is it possible for a player to make an adequate living just out of professional tennis?

To what extent do professional players receive the following things free, provided by tournaments, etc.: travel expenses; living expenses (accommodation, food); equipment (racquets, clothes and shoes, stringing); physiotherapy.

Do some of the top players receive appearance money, as in golf?

To what extent do players receive money from their home country Tennis Associations? On what conditions is this money usually granted?

Presumably, prize money is subject to taxation levied in the player' s home country. Are there ways around this?
Mystery Man
Mystery Man
Cool Newbie
Cool Newbie

Postby CrazyDiamond » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:25 am

I can try and answer some questions for you,but I'm sure there are more knowledgable Members on this Forum that will give more accurate info.

I reckon a player ranked under 150 on the ATP should make between $5000 and $8000 month,if he's lucky.

As far as Im aware no Tournaments supply free Hotel Accomodation,Travel expenses,or food.
The Grand Slams provide something like $300 expenses money a day to any player who makes the Main Draw.....Wimbledon about 200 Pounds a day.
Most Pros will get their equipment and clothing free of charge from the sponsors.....even potential 12 year olds in America are sponsored with equipment and clothing.

Im sure some of the Top Players recieve appearance money.....but not a Million Dollars a Tournament like Tiger does.

The top Juniors and future potential Pros in America recieve a lot of help from the USTA......that I know as a fact.
Other countries Im sure do the same.

About taxation on prize money.....you'll have to ask Steffi and Boris about that. :D ;) ...just kidding I love Steffi and Boris.

So when you turning Pro.? :)

You want my advice....learn to play Golf. 8)
"Shine On You Crazy Diamond"
CrazyDiamond
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby FulhamFan » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:14 pm

About the taxes. There's a reason why most of the people ranked in the top hundred have a residence in Monte Carlo. Either that or they move to florida which is the tennis capital of the world and the taxes are lower than most european countries.
"Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them."- Albert Einstein
FulhamFan
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby chamacoo » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:29 pm

you got it, man. :D
c'mon potito
chamacoo
Cool Newbie
Cool Newbie

Return to Archives