Has Wayne Arthers withdrawn from Newport.?

Results Forum Archives

Has Wayne Arthers withdrawn from Newport.?

Postby CrazyDiamond » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:06 am

It looks as though he's withdrawn on the ATP website Draw Sheet,but I see Steves Draw still shows him in the Draw.

Just wondering because my nephew Glenn is seeded No 1 in the Qualifying Tourney.....so surely if Wayne withdraws Glenn should take his place......and therefore there's no need for Glenn and Frank Dancevic to play their final round Qualifying match.

Am I thinking correctly.?

BTW whats up with the Newport Website....kind of slow to get going dont you think.?
"Shine On You Crazy Diamond"
CrazyDiamond
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby chamacoo » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:10 am

your nephew got a big serve, man. 8)
c'mon potito
chamacoo
Cool Newbie
Cool Newbie

Postby CrazyDiamond » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:22 am

I know,he hit me in the "balls" once with it,I've never been the same since. :D ;)

Do you know him,have you faced his serve.?
CrazyDiamond
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby chamacoo » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:36 am

I haven't faced his serve...thank god. i'm 34...haven't played in a while. i know he played santopadre and sanguinetti at the qualifying session at wimbledon. let me tell you something curious about the match vs santopadre: in the whole first set glenn won 100% of the points on his serve :D ...something like 17 point out of 17. ask him about it, when you talk to him 8)
ciao
p
c'mon potito
chamacoo
Cool Newbie
Cool Newbie

Postby CrazyDiamond » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:47 am

Ahaa...so you're an Italian fan I see. :D ...just kidding. ;)

Glenn had to play 3 Italians to Qualify at Wimbledon,and I see Saguinetti plays a Qualifier 1st round at Newport.

That was a great first set he served against Santopadre,I'll ask him about it when I speak to him again...pity he did'nt serve like that against Verdasco at Winbledon. ;)
CrazyDiamond
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby chamacoo » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:56 am

well...i'm not an italian fan...i have the italian passport as well, but there are only a few italians i really like...and they all juniores.

on verdasco... he is not "grandpa" santopadre. verdasco is a good player, doesn't give up at all, hits the ball like crazy. plus he has a good hand. he is a top 50, no questions about it. 8)

sanguinetti will lose vs the qualifier, wanna bet? ;)
c'mon potito
chamacoo
Cool Newbie
Cool Newbie

Postby CrazyDiamond » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:07 am

I agree with you,he'll more than likely lose.

Shame......I watched him in that match against Rusedski at Wimbledon......he looked slow and old........very clever player,but no real weapons.

Glenn actually beat him in final round qualies at Wimbledon......but he got one of the LL spots.....and 2 hours of TV coverage. :)

Verdasco is a great player,no doubt about it.
CrazyDiamond
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby chamacoo » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:11 am

yep, sanguinetti looked old even when he was twenty years old :D .
and he used to play the same slow/ no punch tennis...which works, actually. like santoro, with much less talent.

anyway, weiner can upset dancevic, it shouldn't be a problem. hope arthurs will play the tournament, he's one of my favorites. another one to watch is moodie...if he is in the right mood ( :D ).
c'mon potito
chamacoo
Cool Newbie
Cool Newbie

Postby CrazyDiamond » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:20 am

:D :D :D
He also reminds me a lot of Brad Gilbert........I was always amazed at how Brad could beat top players just by the tactics he used.

Hopefully Weiner :lol: can upset Dancevic....and hopefully Weiner wont have to play Moodie in the 1st round.....because when Wesleys in the "Moodie" :lol: he can beat anyone.
CrazyDiamond
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby FrankDancevicFan » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:29 am

chamacoo wrote:anyway, weiner can upset dancevic, it shouldn't be a problem.

shouldn't be a problem?Pfffff ;)
FrankDancevicFan

Postby chamacoo » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:39 am

allright then, i'll say glenn-dancevic 76 64 8). what time do they play at, crazydiamond?

btw, dancevic reminds me of mecir... :roll:
c'mon potito
chamacoo
Cool Newbie
Cool Newbie

Re: Has Wayne Arthers withdrawn from Newport.?

Postby Steve G » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:36 pm

CrazyDiamond wrote:It looks as though he's withdrawn on the ATP website Draw Sheet,but I see Steves Draw still shows him in the Draw.

Just wondering because my nephew Glenn is seeded No 1 in the Qualifying Tourney.....so surely if Wayne withdraws Glenn should take his place......and therefore there's no need for Glenn and Frank Dancevic to play their final round Qualifying match.

Yep, Arthurs out. They will still play the qualifying match...qualifying points at stake. ;)
--
Your Friendly Forum Administrator
Steve G
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby skipper » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:17 pm

I seem to recall Newport always being slow in updating their website to include draw results....so I guess this year will be no exception.
"Better to have tried and failed than to never have tried at all", but of course, winning is preferable.
skipper
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby Fee » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:49 pm

The Newport definitely wins the award for the worst website, ripping it away from Scottsdale. There is actually more up to date info on the Hall of Fame website then the sub site for the tournament. Anyway, Arthurs apparently has a shoulder injury and I hope Kendrick will take advantage of his second chance in the main draw.
Fee
Forum King
Forum King

dancevic

Postby dancevicfan » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:19 pm

hey

i read stevegtennis.com religiously at least 10 times a day
huge fan of dancevic and a canadian here.

can someone tell me if kendrick got in by random draw or if the LL went to the next highest player

what is the ATP policy on this.

i know at wimbledon it went by draw.
dancevicfan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby Steve G » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:11 am

Lucky losers are always ordered by ranking. Players must sign a lucky loser list and are chosen by the highest rank on that list.
--
Your Friendly Forum Administrator
Steve G
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CrazyDiamond » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:40 pm

chamacoo

You were close.....Glenn beat him in three.....5/7 7/6 7/5.....good win.

Now Alexander Peya.....looks like a good grass courter....beat Rusedski at Surbiton...and took Roddick to a tie breaker at Wimbledon.....hmmm,good luck Glenn. :)

I cant believe the Newport Website......the worst I've seen....the latest update is Vahaly getting a wild card. :lol: ....why Vahaly got a wild card I'll never know. :?
CrazyDiamond
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Has Wayne Arthers withdrawn from Newport.?

Postby CrazyDiamond » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:44 pm

Steve G wrote:
CrazyDiamond wrote:It looks as though he's withdrawn on the ATP website Draw Sheet,but I see Steves Draw still shows him in the Draw.

Yep, Arthurs out. They will still play the qualifying match...qualifying points at stake. ;)

Thanks Steve....I was'nt thinking clearly. :KooKoo:

Of course Qualifying points,and I guess Dancevic wanted to Qualify. :lol:
CrazyDiamond
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby chamacoo » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:27 pm

sanguinetti won, which is pretty surprising. this kendrick guy shouldn't be a champ, I guess. 8)
c'mon potito
chamacoo
Cool Newbie
Cool Newbie

Postby CrazyDiamond » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:47 pm

chamacoo

Where did you see the Sanguinetti result.?......Im not seeing that result anywhere.?
CrazyDiamond
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby chamacoo » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:55 pm

www.federtennis.it ;)

RISULTATI
Campbell´s Hall of Fame Tennis Championships
Newport, Rhode Island (USA)
5-11 luglio, 2004
$380.000 - Erba

SINGOLARE
Primo turno
Davide Sanguinetti (ITA) b. (LL)Robert Kendrick (USA) 36 62 63

he will face dupuis in the second round.
c'mon potito
chamacoo
Cool Newbie
Cool Newbie

Postby CrazyDiamond » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:07 pm

Nice website,but only Italian results. :lol:
CrazyDiamond
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby chamacoo » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:19 pm

:D i know.

today potito starace (write this name down, man) upset hanescu 36 76 76 saving 3 matchpoints in the final set, in gstaad. he defeated d.sanchez at the first round...after having played the qualy, of course.

went through the qualifying session at the roland garros as well, gave 3-0 to the russian player who lives in florida...can't remember his name right now (the one who kicked safin's butt at wimbledon) at the first round... 3-0 to grosjean on the central court (oh yes 8) ) at the second round... lost 75 at the fifth set vs safin after having had 2 mps :( (on one of them the linesman called a footfault!!)

ehi crazydiamond, what part of SA are you from? 8)
c'mon potito
chamacoo
Cool Newbie
Cool Newbie

Postby CrazyDiamond » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:29 pm

I remember him from Wimbledon....he got a LL spot....lost to Robredo.

Great wins against Hanesco and Sanchez.

Im from Johanessburg.......the Sandton area.
CrazyDiamond
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby chamacoo » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:40 pm

exactly, but he is not that good on grass.

a good talent from SA is whitehouse...even if the very last time i saw him playing (qualy in milano, challenger) he was totally overweight.

going to sleep, my wife is bitching :D .
c'mon potito
chamacoo
Cool Newbie
Cool Newbie

Postby R. Jayakrishnan » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:04 pm

Whitehouse was a wimbledon junior champ. He has not lived up to the promise. May be getting late for him? .. Didn't know that weight was a part of his problem.

Jay
R. Jayakrishnan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Postby Fee » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:43 pm

Vahaly got a wildcard because the tournament director chose to give him one, and possibly because Robby Ginepri declined it and the spot was open. What's wrong with that? It resulted in his first win of the year, so good for Brian.

Kendrick is dealing with a nagging injury, so as much as I would have liked to see him win that match, his loss doesn't surprise me. Sanguinetti pulls off odd wins every once in a while.

CrazyDiamond any word on David Adams? I think I heard he had an elbow injury and decided to retire, but he's trying to work with the SA Federation these days. Is that true?
Fee
Forum King
Forum King

Postby CrazyDiamond » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:43 pm

Fiona wrote:Vahaly got a wildcard because the tournament director chose to give him one, and possibly because Robby Ginepri declined it and the spot was open. What's wrong with that? It resulted in his first win of the year, so good for Brian.

Kendrick is dealing with a nagging injury, so as much as I would have liked to see him win that match, his loss doesn't surprise me. Sanguinetti pulls off odd wins every once in a while.

CrazyDiamond any word on David Adams? I think I heard he had an elbow injury and decided to retire, but he's trying to work with the SA Federation these days. Is that true?

Hi Fiona

I dont deprive any player the opportunity of a Wild Card,but I question why it's always the sponsors "favourite" that gets it.....remember when you were at school and the teachers had their favourite students....did'nt it bug you.?

There are a couple of American players that deserve a wild card,but never get one.
It's not my fault if Vahaly cant win a 1st round match......maybe he should stop following Roddick around and rather concerntrate on playing Tennis.
He was in the Top 100,and now he is'nt....tough luck......same with Justin.

Anyway Glenn just beat Alexander Peya in straight sets......Glenn did'nt get a wild card.......he's now played 3 Qualy matches and a 1st round in 4 days....and plays his 2nd round match today.
Am I biased towards Glenn.....you bet I am.
The USTA wants Glenn to break the Top 100 the hard way....no problem,that's the way he'll do it.....without their "wildcard"help.
Hopefully he does it before the US Open,because Im pretty certain they wont give him a wildcard into the Open......they never have.

David Adams has retired,but Im not certain about his future......I'll make an inquiry for you.

Good luck Glenn.
CrazyDiamond
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby CrazyDiamond » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:11 pm

Glenn got "Popped". :( :lol:
CrazyDiamond
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby chamacoo » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:49 am