What happened to Henman?

Results Forum Archives

What happened to Henman?

Postby dryeagle » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:44 pm

I'm at work, so I haven't seen any of the match, but what happened? Did he just roll over? He apparently played real well in beating Philippoussis on Monday, so I can't believe he would get drilled by Ancic. I thought he would at least get a shot at Roddick, albeit a long shot. The British fans must be fed up, with their soccer team and now Henman. What a letdown.
dryeagle
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby FulhamFan » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:46 pm

Henman didn't rollover. Ancic is an excellent player. Like phillipoussis but better. I wouldn't be surprised if he beat roddick.
"Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them."- Albert Einstein
FulhamFan
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby UNTBOWLER » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:31 pm

The weight of Britain once again knocks Henman flat on his butt. Also Ancic is a solid Grass player but Henman had his chances.
UNTBOWLER
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby dryeagle » Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:50 am

Ancic - "like Philippoussis but better"? Come on, that is a pretty weak assesment. What has Ancic done in his entire career? Pretty much nothing. Ok, he beat Federer in the 1st round two years ago, but he played Roger when he was in a slump and then went out in the next round. This is a very bad loss for Tim, but it wouldn't have mattered much because he was going out against Roddick anyway.
dryeagle
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby FulhamFan » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:12 am

I wasn't analyzing careers. I was talking about play styles at this wimbledon. Ancic played better than phillipoussis did. In another tournament it'll probably be the other way.
FulhamFan
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby dryeagle » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:52 am

This is a real bad loss for Tim against an unknown, the tabloids in England are all over him for it. A lot of commentators are trying to cover it up by saying how great Ancic is and how they knew this was coming. I think thats bs, Ancic is no Goran and he's been lucky to get where he is. First Nalbandian drops out, he barely gets by in 5 in the 2nd round, Malisse gets hurt and Henman throws in a dud. I like Roddick easily tomorrow.
dryeagle
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby UNTBOWLER » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:56 am

Tomorrow could be interesting b/c Roddick has a hard time against attacking players. He lost bad to Federer last year and also to Henman on the hard courts last year. If Ancic keeps his head and nerves he could give Roddick fits, but I think Roddick pulls it out much to NBC's delight.
UNTBOWLER
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby FulhamFan » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:40 pm

Ancic isn't an unknown to hardcore fans. There's a reason why he got the 5th best odds by bookmakers. He's been an underperformer until now. If you saw agassi vs ancic at Roland Garros 2003 you'd know how good he is. It's not exactly a rollover for roddick.
FulhamFan
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby dryeagle » Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:48 pm

Roddick is up 6-4, 4-3 with a break. It looks like he'll roll over this guy. In response to your Agassi theory, should I expect Jerome Heahnel to do some damage in future grand slams?
dryeagle
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby FulhamFan » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:16 pm

agassi sucked against haehnel. agassi vs ancic was a high quality 5-setter which was probably the match of the tournament. Also agassi won that match.
FulhamFan
Forum Master
Forum Master

Return to Archives