week *34* : ATP Long Island, US Open Qualies (23-29/8)

Entries Archive

Postby R. Jayakrishnan » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:01 am

Update:

Since I messed up the update above a bit, here is the whole list of ALT players who made it in.

US Open Qualifying

OUT: Anderson, Ascione, Baker, Bogomolov, Brzezicki, Elseneer, F.Ferreiro, Hippensteel, Pescosolido, Pless, van Lottum, Voltchkov, Waske [and from ALT list, Delic, Prodon, Massa, Bardoczky, Serrano, Tuksar, Childs, Svarc, Dellatore]

IN: Santopadre, Browne, Veronelli, Soares, Russell, Gamonal, Gonzales-King, Enev, Bruthans, Agaev, A.Hernandez, Stoppini, Ketola

NEXT: Gonzales, Zovko, Prpic, Silva, Kralert, Pedroso, Todero, Mankad, Marcos, Cermak, Villagran

By the way, Silva and Marcos in the waiting list are entered in the Brazil F4 for next week, so they will be automatically taken out soon.

Jay
R. Jayakrishnan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:43 am

R. Jayakrishnan wrote:There is no question that Weiner deserved a wildcard for what he has done. This whole over-emphasis on age is pitiful. Come on, if somebody starts making a move later in life and starts showing the kind of tough determination to do that, we should be rewarding it.

Doesn't matter. Glenn will qualify in anyway...

Jay

Thanks Jay,I'm hoping he get's through the Qualies,but that Qualifying Tournament scares the hell out of me. ;)

After doing well at Surbiton and Wimbledon,I thought he would get a Wildcard into Newport or Los Angeles(UCLA is where he was coached as a Junior before going to Bolleterri).....but he didn't get a Wild Card.

Fiona watched him go through Qualies at Los Angeles,she said he was covered in ice packs.......anyway whilst playing Kiefer in Round two at LA he injured his shoulder.......too much Tennis I reckon,too many tough matches.

The question is whether his shoulder is healed enough to get through the US Open qualies......I sure hope so. :)

Postby CrazyDiamond » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:35 am

I'm a bit confused,do I have to Log In each time I post.?

Surely I remain logged in until I log out.? :)
"Shine On You Crazy Diamond"
CrazyDiamond
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby Fee » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:06 am

Yes you either have to log in or you have to set your computer to 'remember you'. I think the default setting is to log you out each time you close your web browser.

Jay, Can you please explain to me what rule allowed the Long Island tournament to add Jan-Michael to the draw in one of the special exempt spots? He was out of DC on Thursday and he could have gone through qualifying, so how did he get out of that and directly in. I am very confused.... Thanks.
Fee
Forum King
Forum King

Postby BelgiumDude » Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:33 pm

I hope Jay doesn't mind, me answering this question.
Gambill made the draw, not as a special exempt, but just thanks to his ranking (6weeks before start of the tournament). The 2 special exempt spots were released very late. Benneteau and Gambill got the spots thanks to their ranking.
Greetings
BelgiumDude
Forum King
Forum King

Postby Fee » Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:30 pm

Thankes for the help on that one. I now understand that the two SE spots 'cleared' and those two spots went to the next two guys on the alternate list (JMG and Benneteau). My confusion came because I did not understand that could still happen after the draw was made. Of course it makes perfect sense that both guys stayed out of the qualie draw because everybody on site probably knew those two spots would clear for them. I"ve learned something new. :)

Now, I'm going to look at the qualie draw to see who the lucky losers might be since I'm sure one or two more spots will open up later today.
Fee
Forum King
Forum King

Postby BelgiumDude » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:30 am

Long Island entry list is finalised.

Agassi, Massu and Labadze withdrew after qualifying had started.
They are replaced by lucky losers Gasquet, Mutis and Elsner.
BelgiumDude
Forum King
Forum King

Postby R. Jayakrishnan » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:22 am

US Open Qualifying

OUT: K.Kim, C.Rochus, Rosset [and from ALT list, Iwami]

IN: Gonzales, Zovko, Prpic

NEXT: Silva, Kralert, Pedroso, Todero, Mankad, Marcos, Cermak, Villagran, Sarstrand, Minar

Strange that Popp's name is STILL in the list .. Now, he is in the Long Island draw also - but still not removed from the USO Q list. Very weird.

Technically, Silva and Marcos, in the list for the BRA F4 futures are allowed to play a match, lose, and fly into New York by the time their matches are on at NY over the next two days, so their names won't be cut from the NEXT list unless they withdraw.

Any other names from the qualifying and the top of the NERT list who is playing somewhere else and is not cut out yet?

Jay
R. Jayakrishnan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Postby R. Jayakrishnan » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:57 am

US Open Qualifying

OUT: Draper, G.Lapentti [and Silva from ALT list]
IN: Kralert, pedroso (Cut down to #278)
NEXT: Todero, Mankad, Marcos, Cermak, Villagran, Sarstrand, Minar, Lorenzi, Motomura

.. Popp still listed to play qualies :) .. Silva has been cut as expected but Marcos is still there ..

Jay
R. Jayakrishnan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Postby R. Jayakrishnan » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:17 pm

US Open Qualifying Update:

OUT: Alexander Popp !!!!!!!!!!!! (Finally!)
IN: Todero (Cut down to #281)
NEXT: Mankad, Marcos, Cermak, Villagran ...

I am told they were waiting for the Gasquet match to get done at Long Island by 6 pm .. Gasquet lost just before 6 pm 67 67 to Gambill. So his name stays in the USO qualies list.

I think that may be where the cut finishes, unless something changes in the very last minute, as they are getting ready to make the qualifying draw soon.

Jay
R. Jayakrishnan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

KJ

Postby Bibbo » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:38 pm

Tennis724 wrote:And if this "Guest" was going to be upset about anyone getting a WC it should be KJ. His results haven't exactly been impressive. Both Brian & Amer have at least had results here and there.

KJ has been playing great tennis. He qualified into TD Waterhouse this week and has been upsetting a number of seeded players in recent Challengers, reaching the finals of the Denver Challenger.
Bibbo

Postby Tennis724 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:06 pm

Yes, I saw that after I posted about KJ and I apologize but consistency has never been one of his strong points it seems so I guess we'll see.
Tennis724
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby Tennis724 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:08 pm

It's 7 PM!! Where's the Quallie draw?
Tennis724
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby R. Jayakrishnan » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:11 pm

I thought it would only come by 9 pm or something there .. we will see.

Jay
R. Jayakrishnan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Postby tennis5201 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:12 pm

the quallies draw is finally out :D :D
tennis5201

Postby R. Jayakrishnan » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:56 am

OK, waiting list for ALT spots .. This is unofficial info from the US Open courts --

Gergio Galimberti (#208) showed up and signed in. The next one may be Harsh Mankad who ended up as the first one out when the draw was made ...

Jay
R. Jayakrishnan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Postby R. Jayakrishnan » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:06 am

Further discussion of this event shall be in the US Open qualies thread just started by zikmat at the News/ Stats section...

The entry list is all inactive and the matches are starting!

Thanks!

Jay
R. Jayakrishnan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Previous

Return to Archive 2004-2007