Just a few short weeks before the start of the 2015 season, Marin Cilic is in doubt about his participation in the Brisbane International.
Although many have assumed that Cilic has withdrawn from the event officially, it appears he is actually still planning to make the trip there but is uncertain about his chances of playing after injuring his shoulder last week.
“He’s still coming as far as I know,” Tournament Director Cameron Pearson told The Australian. “Obviously there’s an element of doubt, but I spoke to his manager a little over 24 hours ago and he said we’d be the first to know if Marin couldn’t make it. “I suspect we’ll find out for sure in the next few days.”
While Cilic would have made a fantastic addition to the draw, the expected attendees this year make it one of the most anticipated Brisbane International events since its inception. In the men’s draw, the tournament features the likes of champion Lleyton Hewitt, runner-up Roger Federer, Kei Nishikori, Grigor Dimitrov, Bernard Tomic and the returning Juan Martin del Potro.
“I don’t think we’d take a hit because we’ve got such a wonderful tournament this year,” Pearson said. “I’m more upset for Marin as he’s playing great tennis; he’s on top of his game. He’s the latest grand slam champion having won the US Open so this is not the way he’d want to start the season. I hope he is in good shape to travel to Australia.”
The Brisbane International begins on Sunday, Jan. 4.