In arguably the most shocking revelation so far this week, world No. 2 Rafael Nadal announced that he has been diagnosed with appendicitis but would still be taking part in the Shanghai Rolex Masters this week.
Speaking to the press on Tuesday evening, Nadal explained that he had suffered from severe pain in his stomach after his arrival in Shanghai and was quickly taken to the hospital where he was diagnosed with the early stages of appendicitis. The doctors recommended a course of antibiotics in an attempt to avoid surgery.
“I was in the hospital on Sunday,” explained Nadal. “Yesterday the nurse came to my room to give me the treatment again. Today I was at the hospital in the morning again. I had again the antibiotics. It seems like everything is under control now. The normal thing for the improvement to continue. I’m not going to go for surgery. That’s great news for me today. That’s why I’m here practising for 45 minutes and trying to play tomorrow. But obviously I am not in my best condition.
“The positive thing is I am feeling better today than yesterday. Yesterday I felt a little bit better than the day before. I hope tomorrow I will feel better than today. That’s why I want to try. I am in Shanghai. I am here to play a tournament. If I don’t play, I don’t have the possibility to win. So that’s it.”
Nadal is aware that this is simply a temporary solution, as the Spaniard was informed by the doctor that he would have to remove the appendix at one point or another. He will return to his doctors in Mallorca and will determine his next step from there.
“I have to talk with my doctors when I get back home,” said the left-hander. “It is true that the doctor here told me that [eventually] I have to take it out. Because when you have it once, the normal thing is that it is going to come back. Sooner or later I have to take it out.”
Nadal is scheduled to begin his campaign in Shanghai against Feliciano Lopez on Wednesday. He leads his fellow countryman 9-2 in the h2h series.