British No. 1 Andy Murray has officially accepted a wildcard into the 2014 Shenzhen Open.
The 27-year-old has dropped out of the Top 10 for the first time in several years on the tour, and will be looking to gain points over the coming weeks, particularly since he was sidelined during this period last year and is free to rack up points this season.
“I am looking forward to competing at the Shenzhen Open, a new event on the ATP World Tour, and starting my first match of the Asian swing in China,” Murray said in a statement. “I’m looking forward to a busy month in Asia and playing in front of the passionate fans out here.”
The Shenzhen Open serves as the official start to the ATP World Tour Asian Swing, which will culminate in the Shanghai Masters in October.
“As a Grand Slam and Olympic winner, Andy Murray has chosen Shenzhen Open to begin his battle in China and show his love for the city and his recognition towards our tournament,” said Grand Gemdale Tennis Club General Manager Zhang Chi. “It is unique to have a super player field with Murray, Ferrer, Gasquet, Robredo, Bautista and Simon, among others, in our ATP World Tour 250 series event. Hereby I would like to wish all players their best performances in Shenzhen and delivering an unforgettable experience for our tennis fans.
The 2014 Shenzhen Open marks the inaugural edition of the 250 tournament, and it will take place between September 20-28 at the Shenzhen Longgang Sports Center.