After two compelling weeks at the French Open, much has changed in the landscape of women’s tennis, including the rankings for many of the competitors inside the Top 20. While Serena Williams leads the pack as world No. 1, her position is far less stable after failing to defend her title and losing in the second round of the tournament. Just over three thousand points behind her is Simona Halep, who moved to world No. 3 following her runner-up appearance at Roland Garros.
Maria Sharapova arguably made the biggest jump in the rankings this week, as she returned to the Top 5 after a slight absence due to her shoulder injury. The Russian won her first Grand Slam title since 2011 and her second overall in Paris, which pushed her within 1200 points of Radwanksa in fourth place.
Another big jumper this week in the rankings is Canadian darling Eugenie Bouchard, who moved to world No. 12 following another historic Grand Slam run. She is within four points of 11th place, and just 415 points away form cracking the Top 10 for the first time in hr young career. The only other Canadian to get a higher ranking was Carling Bassett-Seguso, who reached No. 8 in the WTA rankings.
Here are the updated rankings for the week of June 9:
1. Williams, Serena (USA) 9660
2. Li, Na (CHN) 7450
3. Halep, Simona (ROM) 6435
4. Radwanska, Agnieszka (POL) 5990
5. Sharapova, Maria (RUS)4741
6. Kvitova, Petra (CZE) 4570
7. Jankovic, Jelena (SER)3995
8. Azarenka, Victoria (BLR) 3841
9. Kerber, Angelique (GER) 3830
10. Cibulkova, Dominika (SLO)3735
11. Pennetta, Flavia (ITA) 3324
12. Bouchard, Eugenie(CAN) 3320
13. Ivanovic, Ana (SER) 3305
14. Errani, Sara (ITA) 3120
15. Suarez Navarro, Carla (ESP) 2935
16. Wozniacki, Caroline (DEN) 2700
17. Stosur, Samantha (AUS) 2565
18. Lisicki, Sabine (GER) 2466
19. Stephens, Sloane (USA) 2441
20. Petkovic, Andrea (GER) 2350
Join the Stevegtennis.com tennis club for free. Just enter your email below for...
- Tennis news updates once a week.
- Special offers on tennis gear.
- Unsubscribe at any time.
- We will never share your email.