An intriguing first-time encounter takes place in the opening round of the BNP Paribas Katowice Open, as top seed Agnieszka Radwanska and wildcard Kristyna Pliskova meet on Tuesday afternoon on Centre Court.
World No. 3 Agnieszka Radwanska is set to take part in a rare tournament on home soil, as the top seed faces Kristyna Pliskova in the opening round on Tuesday. The Polish star is coming off a relatively successful March, as she reached the finals at Indian Wells, losing to Flavia Pennetta, and the quarter-finals of the Miami Masters, where she lost to Dominika Cibulkova.
- Radwanska is making her Katowice debut.
- Katowice is about 47 miles away from her home in Krakow.
- Radwanksa is looking for her 14th WTA title.
- Radwańska has been voted the WTA’s most popular player for three consecutive years (2011–2013)
World No. 137 Kristyna Pliskova is taking part in her second WTA level event of the season, but her first since January, when she reached the second round in Auckland. Since then, she has failed to qualify for four different WTA events, but won the ITF Preston title last month, brining her record this season to 14-7.
- Pliskova won her first WTA doubles title at Linz alongside Karolina Pliskova, making them the first twins ever to win a WTA doubles title together.
This marks the first time these two competitors will meet on the professional tour and will likely be a one-sided affair favouring the local favourite Radwanksa. The Polish No. 1 is a crafty veteran who will thoroughly dismantle her Czech opponent en route to a straight sets victory.
Prediction: Agnieszka Radwanska in Straight Sets
Join the Stevegtennis.com tennis club for free. Just enter your email below for...
- Tennis news updates once a week.
- Special offers on tennis gear.
- Unsubscribe at any time.
- We will never share your email.