Former world No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt revealed today that he has officially withdrawn from the AAMI Classis in Kooyong citing fatigue from the gruelling heat. The decision comes on the heels of his outstanding title win over Roger Federer at the Brisbane International, which was his first since 2010.
Hewitt says that while he is not injured, at 32 years of age, he simply needs more time to recover than he did several years back – particularly if he wants to make an impact at the upcoming Australian Open.
“Obviously this week is all about preparation for the Australian Open and getting yourself in (as good shape) as possible,” Hewitt said.
But Hewitt, who won the eight man event last year, will still feature at Kooyong as organisers have arranged for the Aussie to play British no. 1 Andy Murray in an exhibition match ahead of the season-opening Grand Slam tournament. Murray lost in the second round of the Qatar ExxonMobil Open in his first tournament back following his minor back surgery last September and is looking for more court time ahead of next week’s major championship.
The exhibition match is scheduled to take place on Friday afternoon.