The tournament directors of the Royal Guard Open in Vina del Mar have confirmed that three of the top 20 competitors on the ATP tour will take part in the event. Nicolas Almagro, Fabio Fognini and Tommy Robredo are all scheduled to compete in the opening tournament of the Latin American Golden Swing.
The tournament launch was held on Friday in Santiago.
“We’ve never had before three Top 20 players,” said Tournament Director Alvaro Fillol. “We will have a great tournament and after last year with Rafael Nadal, this should be one of our best tournaments, with a high cut-off and all main draw players in the Top 100.”Article Continues Below Ad
The world no. 13 will come into the tournament as the top seed and will be looking to win his 13th career title on clay in his first appearance at the event in eight years. Fognini, the top ranked Italian player on the tour, earned both his career titles last year on clay and will be hunting for his third, when he arrives in Latin America.
Chilean rising talents Christian Garin, who won the French Open junior title in 2013, and World no. 296 Gonzalo Lama will receive main draw wild cards for the February event, signalling a new ear in Chilean tennis.
“It’s the first tournament without any of Marcelo Rios, Fernando Gonzalez or Nicolas Massu. These are new times for Chilean tennis,” said Fillol.