Viktor Troicki has been making headlines in the tennis world over the past few days after he was banned for 18 months by the ITF for refusing to give a blood sample during a test in Munich a few months ago. But just who exactly is Viktor Troicki. Here are 10 things to know about the 27 year old Serbian, who you will be hearing a lot more about in the days to come.
1. As a junior, Viktor Troicki compiled a singles win/loss record of 68-31 (52-20 in doubles) and reached a combined ranking of No. 10 in the ITF junior rankings in October 2004; his best result was making the quarter finals of the US Open in 2004.
2. His idol growing up was Andre Agassi. “He was my true hero, [and] I loved everything [he did]. I had his racquets, his clothes, and copied him in everything.”
3. In 2010, Viktor Troicki won his first career ATP World Tour title in Moscow, beating Marcos Baghdatis in the finals. He has reached four other singles finals on the ATP World Tour and has won one ATP doubles title in Bangkok in 2010 (with Christopher Kas)
4. That same year, he helped Serbia win its first Davis Cup title by clinching fifth and decisive rubber over France’s Michael Llodra. “Playing for yourself and for your country is a totally different feeling, a totally different atmosphere. I like playing for Serbia; it always gives me a lot of motivation. Sometimes you don’t play your best as you can feel the pressure, but you always give more for your country than perhaps you do as an individual. I love when we are playing as a team. I love these competitions. We normally play well in the Davis Cup and the World Team Cup. It’s a special time for all of us. We really enjoy being together and we have a lot of fun. I guess that’s why we play so good.”
5. Troicki peaked at no. 12 in the world rankings in June 2011. He is currently ranked no. 53 in the world and no. 98 in doubles (highest doubles ranking was no. 49 in October 2010)
6. Trocki has never reached the quarter finals of a grand slam. His best performance has been reaching the fourth round of the French Open in 2011 and 2013, and Wimbledon in 2012
7. Troicki is 3-47 vs. top 10 opponents in his career. His three wins came over world no. 3 Novak Djokovic in the second round in Umag in 2007, world no. 9 Andy Roddick in the Washington QFs in 2008 and world no. 7 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the Bangkok semi finals in 2009
8. Troicki made headlines with this meltdown on court against Ernests Gulbis at the Rome Masters series event earlier this year. Check out the video for yourself. By the way, he went on to lose the match 1-6, 1-6 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=165r4mM9edc
9. For someone who does not like needles, Troicki does enjoy rollercoaster rides. “Yes, I am (a thrill-seeker). The more dangerous it is, the more I like it!
10. If he could trade places with one person for a day, it would be LeBron James. “He’s the best athlete for sure in the world. He won everything this year. He would make for an interesting day.”
Join the Stevegtennis.com tennis club for free. Just enter your email below for...
- Tennis news updates once a week.
- Special offers on tennis gear.
- Unsubscribe at any time.
- We will never share your email.